73 FJ40 F Motor, crank no start issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It looks like I have a no spark issue on my FJ40. I hooked my timing light up to #1 and no flashes. Rig turns over fine and there is fuel in the carb and 1 venturi is wet.

1. Stock Aisin carb with mechanical linkage, should both venturi's be wet? (I dont think this is my issue just curious)
2. With Key on I see 12.8v at the + and - side of the coil, I think this is normal, but not sure
3. Batt voltage is @ 13.9V
4. gauges all look good, amp meter moves, and I verified the fuel cut off solenoid clicks

I am guessing my pertronix module is toast, despite being fairly new. Also:

On the + side of the coil I have a Black/Yellow wire, a Black/White wire, and the red wire from the pertronix module. On the - side I have just the black wire from the pertronix module.

Thanks in advance

I'm just curious. Which Pertronix module was it. Ignitor I, or Ignitor II ? Black or Red ?

I carry a spare with me after I had a black one die on me.

Ignitor II, the red module. It was running great then nothing. Dead module was practically brand new, maybe 2hrs total of run time. I did do some electrical work so I may have smoked it inadvertently

I experienced 3 dead, red Ignotor 2’s. The red ones have overload protection in them, and the black ones do not. The protection purpose is in case you accidently leave your Ignition on without the engine running which supposedly could damage the black ones. I have no proof and could not get any good info from the Pertonix techs, but I believe it is that very protection that fails. A few of my fails were temporary. No spark at all but the next day or even hours later it would run fine. The latest Pertronix stuff looks promising, but I’ve since gone to a DUI and happy with it.

I posted about it a while back “HERE”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom