'73 FJ40 - can it be started with the instrument cluster removed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of stripping down my '73 FJ40 for some body work and a full re-spray. After pulling the cluster, I tried to start it but no crank, not even a click from the starter.
Are connections with the instrument cluster part of the continuity for the ignition switch?
FYI: I disconnected the battery before pulling the cluster, and I put electrical tape on the positive wire for the Amp gauge to prevent a short.
And yes, I remembered to re-connect the battery before trying to start it.

I'm in the process of stripping down my '73 FJ40 for some body work and a full re-spray. After pulling the cluster, I tried to start it but no crank, not even a click from the starter.
Are connections with the instrument cluster part of the continuity for the ignition switch?
FYI: I disconnected the battery before pulling the cluster, and I put electrical tape on the positive wire for the Amp gauge to prevent a short.
I reconnected the cluster and it turns over fine -- it appears that the amp gauge connection is part of the ignition circuit.

I think you need to connect the amp gauge leads together. You don't need the gauge.
Agreed! Had to do the same to mine to start

Curious if anyone out there refurbishes or rebuilds instrument clusters. I've got the original and want to keep it, but would love to see it looking like new! Thx.

Just had to do this with my 75. The circuit diagram isn't super clear, but the battery circuit goes through the ammeter as previously explained. Goofy but simple, on to the next challenge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom