73 FJ Worth the Trouble? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This one is better than the first one. I wouldn’t pay $10k for it since it needs a new motor and has evidence of bondo and rust forming under the paint. Looks like they even bondoed the gauge cluster!!

There's no bondo on the gauge cluster. For whatever reason, that's just the paint peeling.

Is it in WA? Your location says Tennessee so if you have to ship it, that’ll add a couple grand.

What is the end goal? How do you plan to use it, want mostly original, etc? Knowing that info will help to steer you to a good starting point.

Is it in WA? Your location says Tennessee so if you have to ship it, that’ll add a couple grand.

What is the end goal? How do you plan to use it, want mostly original, etc? Knowing that info will help to steer you to a good starting point.

It's not in Washington. I guess that's where it came from at some point. It's not exactly local, but it's close enough that I can pick it up with my trailer, so no shipping involved. I would most likely be looking at a resto-mod kind of thing. I'll try to leave in mostly as is, but I would definitely yank the small block out at some point. Different tires and wheels, lose the body lift, and just clean it up the best I can while doing my best to keep it original as possible. I would plan on just using this as a weekend driver going out to eat with the wife and such. I don't want it so nice that I cannot take it on a light to moderate trail without worrying to death over it. I could see myself taking it to come small, local car shows on Saturday mornings. Just stuff like that.

He has another one that's severely rusted out. I thought I might try to work that one in on the deal for extra parts. It can be seen in the background of one of the pictures.

not a fan of any body lift, and surely not the one on this rig.
the rear sill is rusted and most likely both quarters that are under the diamond plate

not a fan of any body lift, and surely not the one on this rig.
the rear sill is rusted and most likely both quarters that are under the diamond plate

I checked out the cab corners pretty good, and it looks like someone did what they could to repair them, then added the diamond plate. It actually didn't look bad from the inside, but as a buyer, I have to imagine the worst case scenario. Sorry I don't have a pic of it, but the bottom side of the tub actually looks pretty good, especially the cargo area.

He refused my first offer of 8k. I made him a second offer that included the parts vehicle, and several other parts he has, including a 2F engine and a set of rear side seats. (I don't know what the proper name for those are.) He said he wanted to think about it for a few days, so let's see what happens.

I don't want to jinx myself here, but I also don't want to leave you guys hanging. So................ I'm happy to announce that I have struck a deal! 10k for the whole shooting match. I'm going today to leave half the money as a deposit. Once I start loading stuff up, I will take pictures and post them as time permits.

*UPDATE- Took the seller half of the money, and have receipt in-hand, so it's a lock, folks! I'll keep you guys informed when I start taking this stuff home.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom