73 FJ Worth the Trouble? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suzuguru

SILVER Star
Threads
This is available in my area, but I don't know if it's worth my trouble or not. I do have the skill to return it to decent shape, but I don't know if it's worth my time. The seller says it does run. I'm thinking about going to take a look at it after work Tuesday. I wish I had some pics of the interior and the engine bay, but this is all the seller had. $2800 is the asking price.

282764049_5740172849326648_8464647340010093358_n.jpg

287584782_5615296461834021_1424221817204159708_n.jpg

294393585_4982543335187416_3825666156590242747_n.jpg

282173927_5224260790943359_4308816879952968396_n.jpg

The good thing is the price because even if you choose not to go all the way, probably part sales will recover that price. The other issue is whether you make a driver, restoration, or rock crawler. Each one will still be pretty costly.

I agree. I would lean toward making a driver/resto-mod out of it. Maybe something that looks decent, solidly built, but not so nice that you can't take it on the trail for a little fun now and then. Definitely not worth a full restoration in my mind. There are much more worthy candidates for that.

I forgot to mention... the seller said he also has additional left and right fenders, as well as a new gas tank.

I agree. I would lean toward making a driver/resto-mod out of it. Maybe something that looks decent, solidly built, but not so nice that you can't take it on the trail for a little fun now and then. Definitely not worth a full restoration in my mind. There are much more worthy candidates for that.

I forgot to mention... the seller said he also has additional left and right fenders, as well as a new gas tank.

Well, if the fenders are OEM they are worth a bunch. Also the gas tank. Seems like a fair priced deal but sometimes when one commits to a project , it seems overbearing. Remember, the journey of a lifetime begins with the first step.

I wouldn’t buy that with the idea of a restoration if that is the type of 40 you want. If you plan to build a restomod or crawler it might be worth buying for a start. I wouldn’t pay 2800 for it but I am just speaking from what I see in the pictures.

It would definitely be a resto-mod, and I would certainly do some hard negotiating on the price. I think I'm going to take a look at it, and then determine where to go from there.

I could be incorrect (bound to happen eventually), but that’s a 40 chopped down into a pickup (because of really bad back end rust???) If trying to turn it back into a 40 and look halfway decent, it’s going to need everything from the B pillar back minimum. If keeping it a pickup, it’s going to need everything from the B pillar back to make it look decent. New top as well in either scenario.
Fenders look toast (says new included). Rockers, cowl sides look rusty and bondo. Bib looks to have bondo? Hood is sticking out forward on passenger side over the bib. The only reason I would give this a passing glance is condition of drivetrain/running gear and I’d be looking to get a great deal on it at that, like sub $1000, then I’d squish the rest after letting people take parts off it free.

Sorry, after reading it this seems harsh but reality.

I should add to my previous post: unless looking to build a single cab wheeler, then dovetail the front and build a dovetailed bed and who cares about bondo and rust!

I didn't take your comment as harsh at all. I asked if it was worth the trouble, and I enjoy seeing what everyone has to say. I think everything you said makes complete sense, and I agree. I'll go take a look at it, and if it looks worth my time, and if I can get it cheap enough, I might drag it home. Honestly, I would probably just do my best to make it as solid as possible, and fab some kind of new, short bed for it. New retro looking tires and wheels, maybe a winch and a few other things, and call it a day.

chances of much of the body being good is slim, bondo showing, holes in both fenders
looks like the rear axle is moved forward some
not much value in re-sell items, except maybe the rims.

I know a few people right now that would pay a nice price for OEM fenders. So, if you listen to people to pay sub 1000.00 , the fenders sold would be more than that.

Thought new factory fenders were available from Europe? How much are used fenders selling for?

looks like the rear axle is moved forward some

I was thinking that at first, but I was trying to compare it to pictures of unmolested FJ's, and I'm not so sure. On an typical FJ40, the front of the rear tire appears to be immediately behind (almost touching) the back of the front seat. Looks to be the same on this one. I could be wrong. I don't know. I would have to do a little measuring.

IMOP The only thing right on that "truck?" is the bezel orientation.
Not worth your time, effort, and $. My .02

My opinion is the motor and running gear will determine what it is worth. Nothing else has much value when compared to cost and effort. The extra fenders and tank will only help you break even!

Thought new factory fenders were available from Europe? How much are used fenders selling for?

Well, 650.00 each. So, there is value there depending on condition.

Super busy at work today, so I wasn't able to go take a look at this like I had hoped. Busy tomorrow, so I will try again Thursday.

I hate to resurrect this thread, but I've found another potential landcruiser to purchase. I would like something a little more "turn key", but that "middle of the road" landcruiser is always elusive. Anyway, this one is available to me. It's a '72 model. Frame looks pretty decent, with just some surface rust. Interior looks decent. Body isn't too bad, IMHO. Here's the bad... it's had a small-block dropped in it at some point. (and the owner says it uses a ton of oil) Also, it's had a body lift put on it, that I would most definitely have to remove. The owner says he has a 2F engine for it, but I have no clue as to the condition of it. Honestly, I would be up for installing a straight 6 turbo diesel out of a newer FJ80, if I got this. After feeling the owner out, I think 10K would be about his bottom dollar. I would like to get it for 8K, but I just don't think he'll go for it. I will probably try, though. He's got a considerable amount of extra parts that I could also use to sweeten the deal. Just thought I would share with you guys.

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0807.1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom