73' FJ Beach Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is my 73' I bought off of Ebay about 6 months ago. Been buying small crap off Ebay for a couple of years biggest thing before this was a bike. Looking at CJ-7's :grinpimp: one weekend and I happened on this Cruiser. Something came over me and next thing I knew, it was Sunday and I was the proud new owner!

I didn't do any homework, went with the gut, and I think I came out pretty good. What do you guys think?

Did some research thanks to IH8 info and figured out the motor is a 2f replacement block from 87'. Motor looks and runs like brand new.

Took alittle adjustment to get used to the 3 speed, drum brakes, and manual steering, but I'm loving it now.

No problems so far, came with a bench seat which I took out for some original jump seats (ebay), other than that the clutch master took a dump swapped that out, changed the diff, transfer, and tranny fluids and she is good to go.

Appreciate any feedback positive or other:crybaby:

I'll post more photos soon, got the silver star and not afraid to use it.
em driveway.jpg
em rear.jpg
engine bay.jpg

Nice Score!!!!! gota get rid of the front drums and change them to discs

Very nice!, the first thing I purchased off ebay was my 40 also....lets just say I wish I came out as good as you did.

Welcome

You probably paid alot less than I did!

Drums track pretty straight, had to stomp on them a couple of times and downshift. Folks around here don't hesitate to pull out in front of you like you are driving a mini cooper or something. Had to adjust the e-brake after I figured out where it was. On the back of the tranny, never would have thought to look there:confused:

Steering could be tighter, but overall she drives pretty nice.

Heres a few more pics. Litte rust on the rear quarter panel and some at the door sills, but pretty minor.
troop seats 1.jpg
rear quarter.jpg
interior2.jpg

great looking truck

That is a nice one. I grew up in central Florida north of Ocala.

Bill
70 FJ40 still apart
75 FJ40 almost back together
78 FJ40 just bought-still a mystery
85 FJ60 350chev and 700R4 auto

Don't mind that for sale sign in the last photo :eek: some of the photos are the ones the PO sent me when I was buying. Didn't want to give you guys the impression I was unloading her, enjoying it too much

Here's few more photos including the day when she arrived. Happy day and a little nerve racking. Relieved when I figured out it was a good solid truck for the most part, my wife was skepical to say the least and as I waited for delivery I had time to come down from the buyers high and think of all the things that could be wrong:doh:
gate.jpg
FJ arrival 2.jpg
sill.jpg

Born in Clearwater Florida, live in Naples now due to the amount of construction going on. Just in Gainesville for the Gator game last weekend, Ocala/G-ville is a nice area, could live there no problem

Heh. That's very typical of the vintage. I have to keep both hands on the wheel going down the interstate. If I glance over at somebody I'm already heading into the next lane. Will likely go to mini-truck power steering in the future.

Steering could be tighter, but overall she drives pretty nice.

Yeah, bought spacer brackets from SOR to get the seats to fit around the roll bar, turns out pretty sturdy but the fronts of the seats now overhand the wheel well too much hence the speaker boxes I cleverly placed underneath them for support

Will do, thanks Jim. Cruisers are few and far between around here, seen two in the last 6 months

nice rig, keep her nice and don't cut her up!!!

no cutting, would like some more agressive tires in terms of tread I think I would go either 31 x9.5 or 33 x9.5 need the height for gearing and like the stock skinny tire look

Steelies would be cool too....:idea:

Heh. That's very typical of the vintage. I have to keep both hands on the wheel going down the interstate. If I glance over at somebody I'm already heading into the next lane. Will likely go to mini-truck power steering in the future.

Definitely not the vehicle for cell phone chatting. She doesn't like a crosswind too much I've noted. Forces you to pay attention and enjoy the actual driving experience if you ask me:grinpimp:

I'm going to keep the drums and learn how to adjust them, I think Jeff Zepp has a good article on that. Our crosswalk signs have a countdown readout on them around here, handy for anticipating the dreaded yellow light at 45 mph

I' m going to avoid the interstate at all costs, :D

I'm doing a mini disc swap on my 73 currently, I am not fond of adjusting brakes every 4-6 months. I also rebuilt the steering box, new Tie Rod Ends and soon a Taurus E Fan to keep my sbc cooler. There is still a little slop in my steering but I don't hesitate to put her on the interstate and run 70 with the group. Although stopping , as you say, is a different matter. All in all I'm pleased with this new purchase. There is lots of info and help from this board but search first "Daniel Son" or Mr. Miyagi will have you sanding again....

BTW, nice find...

I'm doing a mini disc swap on my 73 currently, I am not fond of adjusting brakes every 4-6 months. I also rebuilt the steering box, new Tie Rod Ends and soon a Taurus E Fan to keep my sbc cooler. There is still a little slop in my steering but I don't hesitate to put her on the interstate and run 70 with the group. Although stopping , as you say, is a different matter. All in all I'm pleased with this new purchase. There is lots of info and help from this board but search first "Daniel Son" or Mr. Miyagi will have you sanding again....

BTW, nice find...

Thanks for the response, appreciate the compliments.

Brakes, haven't have to adjust yet, but I'm only driving on the weekend so not much wear is happening. Did have to adjust the e-brake but that was cake.

Could use a new steering stabilzer and some shocks but they are fine for now.

Steering box rebuild may be in order, how difficult is that?

I've been lurking for some time now so I know to check the search first and also made sure my bezel is right side up :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom