73 fj-40 petronix question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 9-73 fj-40 with a petronix in the dizzy. Stock f-155 motor. Not sure which model my dizzy is, will have to check and post it. I think it is a vacuum advance model.
Using the stock coil as of now. Question is, should I be using the hotter flame thrower coil, and if so , what ohm model should I get. I think they are 1.5, or 3 ohm.
Anyone have insight on this? Thanks.

Last edited:
On our 1970, @65swb45 recommended this combination. Dissy has Petronix and they have performed flawlessly.

IMG_2102.JPEG

IMG_2104.JPEG

Ok. Good to go with the stock coil.
The dizzy I have installed is a 029100-2370 denso.
Cant find any info on if it is a vacuum advance or not, which should be used with the petronix, correct?

IMG_20220417_104756824.jpg

@Imog2018

The TOYOTA part number is above the Denso number. It is ten digits in the format, "12345-67890". The last five are visible in your photo, "-60065".
It's very likely the first five are "19100".

It is definitely a vacuum retard distributor, with the vacuum pulling the breaker plate clockwise in the same direction as the rotor turns.
The vacuum retard distributor was standard on 1973 models.

@Imog2018

The TOYOTA part number is above the Denso number. It is ten digits in the format, "12345-67890". The last five are visible in your photo, "-60065".
It's very likely the first five are "19100".

It is definitely a vacuum retard distributor, with the vacuum pulling the breaker plate clockwise in the same direction as the rotor turns.
The vacuum retard distributor was standard on 1973 models.
Ok. So I cant even remember if it was even connected to the vacuum line on the manifold or not. Or was it the carb base? Carb is off getting rebuilt. Been this way for years. Petronix installed by PO long time ago.
Question is is this correct for the petronix to work best ? Just plug it and dont worry about it?

Ok. So I cant even remember if it was even connected to the vacuum line on the manifold or not. Or was it the carb base? Carb is off getting rebuilt. Been this way for years. Petronix installed by PO long time ago.
Question is is this correct for the petronix to work best ? Just plug it and dont worry about it?
It's likely the PO disconnected the vacuum retard connection. The experts recommend that the vacuum retard be disconnected, and any vacuum connections plugged.

The Pertronix module is an upgrade from the standard breaker points (need maintenance somewhat frequently) to solid state. Solid state works perfectly to produce spark, but has no effect on timing advance.

If you drive alot and could benefit from a vacuum advance distributor, you may need a different Pertronix for the new distributor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom