73’ Cylinder head and exhaust manifold recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Blastservices

SILVER Star
Threads
1.5F motor
Hey guys. I’ve got my carb off and on it’s way to Marks 4x4. The exhaust manifold on my truck has a single broken ear on one mounting tabs. Missing less than half of the half. The heat riser is frozen. I could risk it and put it back together and just disregard the heat riser (Florida). Or I could replace with a good used. So anyone have any ideas where to locate one?
Also, the head gasket is showing signs of weep under the intake side. I’d like to pull the head and go ahead and go through it or swap depending on cost prohibitive ness on shipping a core back. Who does legit Landcruiser head work?

Last edited:
For my '71 FJ40 build (with a '76 2F engine) I'll be using 3FE exhaust manifolds and the original F engine intake manifold. The 3FE exhaust manifolds flow a lot better than the stock manifold.

For my '71 FJ40 build (with a '76 2F engine) I'll be using 3FE exhaust manifolds and the original F engine intake manifold. The 3FE exhaust manifolds flow a lot better than the stock manifold.

How easy is it sourcing 3FE manifolds? Besides my FJ62 only set I have is on a complete spare 3FE engine.

Also where did you join the two exhaust pipes? With it run outside the frame, above the skid plate or below the skid plate? I run PTO winches so above the skid plate is not an option for me. Steering box probably complicates running outside the frame?

How easy is it sourcing 3FE manifolds? Besides my FJ62 only set I have is on a complete spare 3FE engine.

Also where did you join the two exhaust pipes? With it run outside the frame, above the skid plate or below the skid plate? I run PTO winches so above the skid plate is not an option for me. Steering box probably complicates running outside the frame?
I've been able to source two sets here on MUD, one set two years ago and another set this year. I have heat shields for one set, and a lead on heat shields for the other set.

I'll try to keep the exhaust above the skid plate. The shop that fabricated the downpipes/Y-pipe/transition to FJ60 catalytic converter for my '86 FJ60 build did a great job - a good deal at $200. Of course the FJ40 frame is a little narrower, but I don't have to worry about oxygen sensors or a catalytic converter either.

Run it.

You keep throwing yourself down the rabbit hole Todd. You’re not into S&M are you?

Run it.

You keep throwing yourself down the rabbit hole Todd. You’re not into S&M are you?
For a truck that was so “cleaned up looking” it has sure needed almost everything to be dealt with. I think I like the punishment !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom