73 and up seat risers on a 71 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ksemerdjian

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 71 FJ40 with the bench seat setup and over the last couple of months been thinking of installing bucket seats. I have searched and found some good info about what seats and brackets work and so on but don't really want to use the brackets that are intended to be used on a 71 since I would have to use the drivers seat bottom and retain the tool box. My question now is if I wanted to use the 73 and up oem seat risers/brackets on my 71 would I have to modify anything other than some new holes for the brackets to mount to the tub? Just wondering if the floor on a 71 is the same as the 73 and up. If a mud member has a set of oem risers they would like to sell please let me know.

If you really don't need to keep the tool box you can always carefully drill out the spot welds at the perimeter of the base flange and at the angle brackets in the rear corners, and Dremel out the three welds along the back top edge. Or if you want to keep the toolbox, make a simple adapter to relocate the drivers side front seat bracket. @Living in the Past has posted details of what he did with that bracket to clear the tool box.

I know this does not directly answer your question, but I am going through this right now on my '71 and thought I would detail what I did as reference. I found a set of BMW e30 seats (recommended in an old mud forum on this topic) for $150. I removed the factory driver seats and slider from the Toyota base and the e30 seat and slider was almost an exact fit, just needed to elongate 2 of the holes. I fabbed up some brackets on the original Toyota seat frame for the passenger side to attach the e30 seat and slider to. I knew it would sit higher than the driver side, but wanted to see how bad. It sits too high, so I am going to remove the e30 slider from the passenger seat and hard mount it to the brackets I made. I think that will level out the seats enough for me to be happy. Good luck with your project.

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

I know this does not directly answer your question, but I am going through this right now on my '71 and thought I would detail what I did as reference. I found a set of BMW e30 seats (recommended in an old mud forum on this topic) for $150. I removed the factory driver seats and slider from the Toyota base and the e30 seat and slider was almost an exact fit, just needed to elongate 2 of the holes. I fabbed up some brackets on the original Toyota seat frame for the passenger side to attach the e30 seat and slider to. I knew it would sit higher than the driver side, but wanted to see how bad. It sits too high, so I am going to remove the e30 slider from the passenger seat and hard mount it to the brackets I made. I think that will level out the seats enough for me to be happy. Good luck with your project.

View attachment 2186852

View attachment 2186854

View attachment 2186855
That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Most aftermarket brackets I've seen reuse the drivers seat mount and I've seen others that have done the same thing that it looks like you did which is the use the passenger seat frame. I am selling my bench seats as a complete package so in my case I don't have any of the original brackets or mounts to work off of so I decided to go with the OverlandWerks seat frame from Cumminscruiser. For me it makes sense simply because at a cost of 200 dollars plus shipping which is about 40 dollars I can sell my old seats and mount any seat I want. The brackets from Corbeau or Procar cost that much and you still have to use the drivers seat bottom oh and not to mention with his seat frame I can mount a Tuffy console directly to the frame. Thanks for your reply and advice.

Curious how far you shipping seat and with who that it would only be $40? Years ago I used UPS for a single long jump seat. That was at least $40.

Curious how far you shipping seat and with who that it would only be $40? Years ago I used UPS for a single long jump seat. That was at least $40.
I didn't ship my seat, they were sold locally. The 40 shipping is for the seat frame I bought Cumminscruiser which comes in pieces and needs to be assembled.

I didn't ship my seat, they were sold locally. The 40 shipping is for the seat frame I bought Cumminscruiser which comes in pieces and needs to be assembled.

How can I get a look at this seat frame you bought? I've been searching all day but keep finding old posts - then finally something very current!

How can I get a look at this seat frame you bought? I've been searching all day but keep finding old posts - then finally something very current!
I haven't assembled mine yet but I found these pictures on mud which I believe were from Cumminscruiser.
PA030994.jpg
IMG_0176.jpg

^ Thanks! I'm very interested in knowing if the seat height is same as stock, or lower/higher with that frame. Looks like you don't need to tilt the seat back to get into the toolbox, but does that mean it's too high? My problem is that my current set up is too high.

I would email Bill and send him the those pictures and some measurements of your current setup to see if he can help you. I have only done a mock up on mine and I had to cut the seat sliders down to get the seats to sit low enough for me and even then I might have to do some trimming to drop the frame a bit to my liking but that's to be expected when you start modifying stuff.

I’m wondering if anyone has gotten ahold of Bill or figured this out. I got the cumminscruiser kit along with my recently 72 FJ40 purchase. I mocked up the frame recently and set some seats from a Mazda 3 on top and they were way too high. The seats themselves are not huge (7” high from base to top edge) so I’m now worried about finding any seat that will not seat me too high. Some corbeau and similar seats have thinner seating surfaces and wondering if that would be the solution.

I’m wondering if anyone has gotten ahold of Bill or figured this out. I got the cumminscruiser kit along with my recently 72 FJ40 purchase. I mocked up the frame recently and set some seats from a Mazda 3 on top and they were way too high. The seats themselves are not huge (7” high from base to top edge) so I’m now worried about finding any seat that will not seat me too high. Some corbeau and similar seats have thinner seating surfaces and wondering if that would be the solution.
Did you ever figure out your seat height issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom