73/74 soft top? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have been looking at this...

Toyota : Land Cruiser FJ73

And wondering if that soft top would have been factory, since it has the full-height rear doors?

Second question, is there a snowball's chance in hell of getting that soft top nowadays? Or, I assume, it'd have to be a custom job.

A soft top with full length rear doors was a factory option. From what I know, the rear doors with the removable frames are pretty rare, especially in Latin America. As far as the top, I took a look at the photos, and while I suspect it is a replacement I would need some more detailed shots to be sure. There are a number of upholstery shops in Latin American which are able to reproduce these. I have also had conversations with at least one mudder who was able to source one new from Japan $$$.

Hello,

It looks like a typical South American specification Cruiser. Yes, doors with removable frames were rare in that market.

On the other hand, the rear jump seats do seem aftermarket or adapted from a later model.

The model code in the tag, FJ73L-MR, confirms it as a soft top; it is as basic as it gets.

If I remember correctly, Colombian import regulations had a lower tax for soft top 4WD vehicles. That is why most Colombian Land Cruisers have this top.

Factory soft tops are still available from Japan 4x4.

Hope this helps.

Juan

I do believe @beno recently ordered a new OEM soft top for his BJ70. OEM for sure on that eBay truck. Perhaps the 73/74 is still available too but check with him. Not sure about the bows and what mods would need to be made to the FRP top set up to make it work. Removable upper doors are rare but can be had used. They are also available new but for $$$$$ (see @beno also).

Last edited:
I did purchase a new soft top for my FJ73 awhile back in case they went obsolete and my current one went bad.

It cost me 210,000 yen ($1,789 USD at the current exchange rate), plus shipping. I don't remember how much the shipping was though. That is just for the soft top and not all the bits and pieces needed should one decide to convert a hard top to soft top.

I would definitely go with Beno for anyone wanting to order it although I didn't get the new OEM soft top from him since I didn't know of his services at the time.

Although mine has no heat, it has A/C and it works pretty well.

Edit: In case anyone is interested in ordering their own soft top for a 73/74 series, the P/N is: 65910-90K01

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom