73/74 series landcruiser rare options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All, I have searched and have not come up with much. As far as options rarity, what would you say are the rarest/most sought after options that came on the 73/74 series of land cruisers?
Color?
Trim?
Options?
Years?
Unusual spec?

Lockers rare
12 volt electronics only certain markets got this.

Probabaly rarest?
Left Hand drive, HZJ74, lockers, 12 volt electronics, 5 speed, soft top
Yeah not sure that one exists…,

Rare: that they are not full on s*** box trucks kept together with bondo and baling wire. (READ: anything from South America)

Rare: that everyone whom sells one of the s*** box trucks from someplace else in the world to a sucker American can sleep well at night knowing they conned a stupid American.

Rare: an American who has a brain cell to figure out that the diamond they see is actually a piece of coal; or more honestly a piece of junk.

Rare: to understand that feeding a non-US Land Cruiser is the worst financial decision anyone with a brain can make but it’s done every day because a 7x really is unobtanium for 99.9% of humans in the US.

Rare: some one who will stop bitching and moaning about how terrible
any LJ7x really is.

🤘🤘😂😂👊👊🤙🤙🍄🍄

Last edited:
"Rare: to understand that feeding a non-US Land Cruiser is the worst financial decision anyone with a brain can make but it’s done every day because a 7x really is unobtanium for 99.9% of humans in the US."

Harumph!

Rare: Me being accused of being smart & Shhhh.........Don't let my wife hear you!🤔🤫

Rare: that they are not full on s*** box trucks kept together with bondo and baling wire. (READ: anything from South America)

Rare: that everyone whom sells one of the s*** box trucks from someplace else in the world to a sucker American can sleep well at night knowing they conned a stupid American.

Rare: an American who has a brain cell to figure out that the diamond they see is actually a piece of coal; or more honestly a piece of junk.

Rare: to understand that feeding a non-US Land Cruiser is the worst financial decision anyone with a brain can make but it’s done every day because a 7x really is unobtanium for 99.9% of humans in the US.

Rare: some one who will stop bitching and moaning about how terrible
any LJ7x really is.

🤘🤘😂😂👊👊🤙🤙🍄🍄

0/5 :(

So many variations one could argue that almost all varieties have their rare options, but as someone who has owned a few I'd certainly say lockers, 1HZ, and A/C seem to be pretty commonly coveted across the board by all. If you can find one with the removable top doors, that's a pretty cool option, as well - typically you can quickly spot these by the windshield mounts on the hood. I also tend to find that any part I break magically becomes rare the moment I need it.

how bout this one,

rare, an american who DOESNT have dreams to restore it or turn it into a touring rig, but instead just wants a unique toy to play with and bomb around the forest

You can't just say 73/74 but have to split them up in what part of the world they where sold in and what year model/engine it has in it.

In Europe finding a HZJ73 with flares , power windows and ac will be almost impossible while in Japan that seems to be normal . The other way around I can find 73's in Europe with removable top doors and rollbars and those have never been sold in Japan .

After owning over a 100 of 70's I just bought my first ever Mica green one , never seen one in my life and didn't even know they ever sold one in Europe until I bought one 2 months ago that was presented to me . I didn't care for the mica green seeing it in the pictures but now that it is here in TX that color is growing on me and I can't proceed with my intentions of painting it in a different color.

When you think you have seem them all somewhere one will pop up to prove you wrong.

You can't just say 73/74 but have to split them up in what part of the world they where sold in and what year model/engine it has in it.

In Europe finding a HZJ73 with flares , power windows and ac will be almost impossible while in Japan that seems to be normal . The other way around I can find 73's in Europe with removable top doors and rollbars and those have never been sold in Japan .

After owning over a 100 of 70's I just bought my first ever Mica green one , never seen one in my life and didn't even know they ever sold one in Europe until I bought one 2 months ago that was presented to me . I didn't care for the mica green seeing it in the pictures but now that it is here in TX that color is growing on me and I can't proceed with my intentions of painting it in a different color.

When you think you have seem them all somewhere one will pop up to prove you wrong.

Where are the pictures of this mica green one?

And yes, I’ve learned there is always exceptions and some random rig shows up that everyone said didn’t exist. Like those alleged 4 or 5 left hand drive BJ74s for the Paris dakar.

Where are the pictures of this mica green one?

And yes, I’ve learned there is always exceptions and some random rig shows up that everyone said didn’t exist. Like those alleged 4 or 5 left hand drive BJ74s for the Paris dakar.
I attached a pic of that mica green one in the "what did you do to your 70" tread.

About those lhd BJ74's , at least one of them ended up in Belgium in a junkyard that had a lot of rare stuff and a bunch of cruisers that came out of strange locations . I have seen it long time ago before I realized just how special it was . Unfortunately that junkyard closed it's doors about 5 years ago and a lot of stuff got lost forever , I tried to buy a bunch of cruisers and parts but we couldn't agree in the end and I walked away , by this time several of the rare cruisers there had already dissapeared.

Kind of like that mica green, probably looks better in person

I attached a pic of that mica green one in the "what did you do to your 70" tread.

About those lhd BJ74's , at least one of them ended up in Belgium in a junkyard that had a lot of rare stuff and a bunch of cruisers that came out of strange locations . I have seen it long time ago before I realized just how special it was . Unfortunately that junkyard closed it's doors about 5 years ago and a lot of stuff got lost forever , I tried to buy a bunch of cruisers and parts but we couldn't agree in the end and I walked away , by this time several of the rare cruisers there had already dissapeared.
That dark green is quite nice!

Hello,

LX/ZX grade JDM 73/74 Series had fender flares, lockers, power locks/windows/mirrors and rear speakers.

Middle East trucks included the rare soft top with longitudinal seats, as well as the elusive FZJ74.

South America Spec 73 Series made in Japan had an electric winch, flares, power locks/windows/mirrors and rear speakers.

Then there are the stories about the LHD BJ74s out there.

In my humble opinion:
  1. LHD BJ74.
  2. JDM HZJ73/74, ZX grade.
  3. Middle East Spec FZJ73/74, LX grade.
  4. Middle East Spec FZJ73/74, soft top.
  5. South America Spec FZJ73, LX grade.
Getting any one of these in good shape is quite a challenge.

Juan

Last edited:
My JDM BJ74 does not have flares. I've seen several without flares.

LHD 73/74 built in Japan LX/ZX are not that common for global/ROW markets.

gas engines seem to be common for cars shipped to Middle East. ROW got the diesels.

06 was last year for MWB in ROW countries.

The one I would love to own and drive would be a yemen spec 74 with softop and half doors. Those are super rare.

Yemen distributor always ordered the odd balls. We see a lot of 71s 73s and 74s with softops in that country.

Unfortunately, a lot of them are hacked way passed rescuing. Same goes to Middle east cars in general.

The biggest issue is the standard. What the sellers consider clean, we consider walk-away. I've had soo many potentials. Only to find out that those cars where not what we consider clean or worth fixing.

@Lo2aY like this? Not quite stock, but I got the soft top parts from Yemen.

59A561DE-EA86-4906-B903-9E514B1CD69A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom