72 partial 40 resto

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by xrock, Nov 18, 2005.

1. xrock

xrock

So I picked it up a few weeks ago from another on the board here and drove her home making notes of what to do to fix her up.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After a good cleaning, I started sanding it down while pieces were still attached (so I could drive it until ready for tear down and paint)
    [​IMG]

Then, when I had done everything I could with the pieces on, I started tearing it apart. Sanded the rest, sprayed with etching primer, sanded, primered, sanded and then sanded again.
    [​IMG]

Then, went to the local Sherwin Williams auto paint store and gave them the color code for Freeborn Red- came home and started painting using an ok gun and air compressor (the paint was top end though)
    [​IMG]

Since this was my first time, I found out how to make paint run- check the inside of the fender- Doh! Now I have to learn to wet sand :D
    [​IMG]

So after painting all weekend, I put things back together Sunday night and I'm loving the new color. Oh- also added all new hood latches and used new bolts from SOR.

[​IMG]

I still need to really get into the wet sanding though this weekend as there are "orange peel's" and some other runs that need to be worked on.

This weekend, I'm starting on the back section (but not the hard top yet) and then next weekend taking the hard top off and painting the rest of the body.

I'll do the hard top last- a few weekends away from that.

Just thought I'd share- Feel free to post any suggestions or comments. I don't think I'm a professional by any means- I just like to learn and try new things.

2. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    nice.

Never heard of sherwin williams paint for a car?

3. lunyou

lunyou

What is the color code for freeborn red?? If i ever get a rig painted it will be that color

OH yeah the rig looks good not to bad for the first time.

lunyou

4. zmacman

zmacman

nice job xrock... good color!

5. xrock

xrock

thanks- I got the color code on here by searching for color code's and then following a link someone had posted.

I took that number to Sherwin Williams and of course the number meant nothing to them. They did however have a book with Toyota's colors by year and we found the Freeborn Red in there.

It actually wasn't what I was thinking. I was thinking Freeborn red was like this:
    [​IMG]

but it turned out much more maroon or "wine" looking. The paint is very shiny and has a touch of metallic in it when you look at it in the light. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.

I'll post pics of the finished truck in a week or so.

6. trucruiser

trucruiser

Looks good, but like you said, i dont think its freeborn red.

7. clarkrw3

clarkrw3

Albums:
    Very nice....but no reason to miss the meet!!! :D

8. theside00

theside00

that looks good I like the color on it

9. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I would go back to your paint store and have them make sure they mixed you what you wanted, or, find out what they mixed for you, so when you want some touch-up paint, you are not pulling your hair out trying to find something that matches...

The maroon looks nice.

Good luck!

-Steve

10. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    just outta curiousity, how much paint did you buy and what did it run ya?

definitely more maroon, but that works for me...red tends to stress me out.

11. xrock

xrock

I had them mix me some rattle canslast week and they used the same code and it came out the exact same color, so whatever they're using, it's an actual color for them.
    What we did is looked in their Import book for 1972 and picked Toyota-Freeborn red. They did the rest- I can probably get the paint color code off the receipt or paint can and post it.

I bought 1 pint and it was about $65 or so~ then you have the other stuff (hardener, etc.)

It was enough to do what is shown above, so it will probably take another pint or 2 to completely finish.

I got the top off this weekend (just in time for an Arizona cold streak:mad: )
    and started sanding down the outside of the tub and back doors. I'll paint that this weekend and then do the doors.
    After taking a week or so break, I'll start on the top. I've got in 3 pieces and will most likely take out the windows to make sure I get good coverage.

12. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

Exactly what I was thinking. That's certainly not freeborn red, but it does look nice. It looks kinda like the sunfire red my 98 tacoma was.

13. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    It does look a little dark but then again you can kinda see the freeborn. maybe due to camera or mix.. plus alot of times were used to looking at faded freeborn red.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.