'72 front bench seat question please (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

steffan

SILVER Star
Threads
i'm in the process of restoring the front seats and the center section with the evaporations system was all cobbled together. Does anyone have some good pictures of what the mounting is supposed to be around that center section: how it's bolted on the stands especially to the passenger section. is it supposed to pivot? Thanks
16149644337a5989fd342a1970ToyotaFJ71 copy.jpg

i'm in the process of restoring the front seats and the center section with the evaporations system was all cobbled together. Does anyone have some good pictures of what the mounting is supposed to be around that center section: how it's bolted on the stands especially to the passenger section. is it supposed to pivot? ThanksView attachment 2645547
I don’t have the ‘72 close to snap a pic. The center does not pivot, there are some shoulder bolts that allow the passenger seat back to flip down. The 72 seat is a one year only pet, they pop up occasionally for sale but finding parts for it is hard.

I use to have that set up as well. I recommend that you remove the middle section so you can have easy access to the rear rather than having to lift yourself up over the seat just to grab something out from the back. Removing the middle seat was a 100% imrovement for me, and, if you have dogs, they will enjoy it too. Mine always runs from rear to front when on a trip.

IMG_20190929_175249.jpg

Only issue with removing the middle section Is that you now won't have the emissions system in place. Just don't fill your tank up to "full" otherwise there will be pressure build up and gasoline will leak out from the fill neck if you leave it parked for too long. I only fill it up to max if I plan on going on a long trek; otherwise, leaving a 2 gallon buffers leaves a good headspace for vapor expansion. Sorry for not having pics of how it's originally set-up, but removing the mid section was a big imrovement for me. Hope someone else can provide you with the orginal configuration.

IMG_20200203_160535.jpg

The 72 seat is a one year only pet, they pop up occasionally for sale but finding parts for it is hard.

A bunch of 71s had these as well. Possible even some 70s. Part out a 5/71 that this. Bought a seat like this from a friend 71. These are rare but not rare. Finding decent 63 and earlier seats that that the frame are still in good shape is a lot harder.

A bunch of 71s had these as well. Possible even some 70s. Part out a 5/71 that this. Bought a seat like this from a friend 71. These are rare but not rare. Finding decent 63 and earlier seats that that the frame are still in good shape is a lot harder.
I was just poking around on SOR and they list 9/71-9/72 for the split bench, when did the seat base change(mounting tabs)?

Lots of them are out there but not many people want to part them out.

Thanks for the info - never thought about removing it. The way the middle section is set up (with the stopper on the left side), it's almost as if it was intended to pivot forward like the rest of the seat. That being said, with all the hoses associated with the canister, it wouldn't really be feasible.
here is the 'bolt' that fixed the left side of the passenger seat to the center seat - obviously not stock (standard all thread/ nut). It appears as if it should be an 8x1.25 thread going into the center seat with a larger (12mm) dowel on the other side to interface with the passenger seat pivot hole?
I'm thinking I might have to weld something together to mimic this piece

tempImageh3WB7i.png

here's how it looks bolted together. it was definitely designed to pivot forward but as noted earlier, the hoses, hard lines and shielding, make it impossible. i kept it so that it will pivot if i ever decide to ditch the center canister. there's a bottom bolt that locks it to to the frame, preventing it from rocking forward

tempImageKkn09m.png

tempImage3Wrxbn.png

tempImage0MnTJ7.png

Nice work!

Living in the Past - as of now, that's my plan. i'm thinking a little pull pin on the bottom to lock it when it's upright. i'll update as i go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom