For Sale 72 FJ55 with 350V8, auto tranny, FJ60 Axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOLD---72 FJ55 with 350V8, auto tranny, FJ60 Axles

**********SOLD***************

Time to sell my 72 FJ55. I bought it in 1995, sold it to my little brother for a few years, then bought it back.

I bought it from a guy that had done a complete conversion on it-- a 350 GM crate engine, a turbo 350 tranny, and an NP 203 T-case. That all has about 70k miles on it. The front axle has a power steering conversion, shackle reversal and twin shock set up. That was all done by fly-n-hi in phoenix. Some of their work was dubious, but most has been trouble free. The biggest dubious thing was they left the FJ55 rear axle in with its 4.11 gearings and put in an FJ60 front axle with 3.74. It took me a while to figure that out. I fixed that problem by having an FJ60 axle put in, using Dave Gores u-bolt flip kits and one of his nice greasable shackles. I have wondered if there was maybe residuals issues in the T-case from this, but it has never given me a problem. And NP203's are dirt cheap anyway.

So it has FJ60 axles front and rear, a power trax in the rear axle. The FJ60 axles give it a wider stance, disc brakes, and an integrated emergency brake. I put in an emergency brake handle from an FJ60 but still have the stock one as well.

The radiator was just recored. 33x12.50 MTRs. Custom winch bumper set up for a 8724 (but winch is not included). The front seats are modern chevy truck seats with integrated shoulder belts. The rear seats could use a recover. It also has a custom 37 gallon gas tank. Made and installed by a guy in Phx.

There are some bad things-- the speedo does not work, some other gauges don't work, the power steering gear leaks (has for 15 years actually). I think the power steering gear could use a rebuild. The rear brake lights are not working for some reason. And now the turn signals.

I can come up with a list of potential and actual issues, but none that I know of are major. Examples-- it could still use a larger radiator if you want to tow things up the mountain in the heat of summer. I have never had issues with overheating at normal speeds, but at highway speeds in the middle of summer to the stock radiator is pushed to keep up with the V8. We tried to put a custom Ron Davis radiator in but couldn't make it fit. I am pretty sure we could have got a smaller one in (the one I had was just too wide, it hit the steering gear), and I still have the radiator mounts for that type of radiator.

I have some other parts for it. Including some nicer rams horn headers, and the pipe that goes under the engine to connect them. I can't remember what that was called, but it was a pipe that came from NAPA and was a pretty common set up for landcruiser V8's. I also have a set of leaf srpings. The springs were heavy duty lift springs from spector offroad. They might have been called ironman springs, and I think they were 3 inch lift springs. They have been sitting in my garage for a long time. We can discuss what parts the buyer might want, and I will sell the rest separately.

I also have a new rear view mirror, spare window gear, and a spare tranny hump with no holes in it. The heater is not in the truck, but it is included.

You could probably find out more than you wanted to know about this truck by searching ih8mud archives.

One other things I should add. This FJ55 has spent its entire life in Arizona. As a result, it really has minimal rust issues compared to most of the FJ55s out there. But I have done a couple of repairs in the usual places (the bottom of the front fenders). The paint color is a stock chevy white, so it is easy to get cans of paint. When I first got it pained the inside of the doors with POR-15 and used that in other places.

Note-- some of the close up pictures of the front suspension are old, and show the old tires on it.

Jared

DSC_0201Large.jpg

DSC_0202Large-1.jpg

DSC_0200Large.jpg

DSC_0199Large.jpg

DSC_0198Large.jpg

DSC_0197Large.jpg

DSC_0196Large.jpg

DSC_0203Large.jpg

P1010017Large.jpg

P1010016Large.jpg

P1010027Large.jpg

P1010025Large.jpg

Last edited:
You willing to sell the rear view mirror & rear window gear? I really need those two things for my 78' I'm in the process of restoring!

Thank you!

You willing to sell the rear view mirror & rear window gear? I really need those two things for my 78' I'm in the process of restoring!

Thank you!

Once I sell it, yes. I will try and get some pictures of what I have

For those who asked, it does pass emissions in Maricopa County. Pre 74 requires only a gas cap test and a sniffer test. In the last 15 years it may have failed once. As I recall we replaced the spark plugs and it passed.

Interested in the springs only. Willing to part with them? Are they FJ55 specific?

Thanks and bump for a nice pig.

Interested in the springs only. Willing to part with them? Are they FJ55 specific?

Thanks and bump for a nice pig.

Yes, they are FJ55 specific springs from Spector. I think I may have the old catalog with them. I will sell them seperate if the buyer of the FJ55 doesn't want them.

And bump for lowered price.

Im near him so if anyone wants me to check it out for anyone im more than happy too....im pretty sure he is ahonest guy though, but two sets of eyes is better than one I say.

questions

Is this 55 still for sale? I PM'd you with a few more questions a couple days ago. Mostly looking for more photos of the interior like the floorboards & also the undercarriage - would like the confirm the lack of rust a little better if possible. Thanks

-Alan

The 55 is still for sale. I just sent you a PM. I will get you some pictures of undercarriage and floorboards.. If you have any contacts in arizona I will gladly show it to them.

Jared

I was asked for more pictures. So I took another 80 or so pictures. You can see the pictures here. I took pictures of the undercarriage. I also took a picture of just about everywhere I could find some rust.

I did not pull up the carpet, as it is glued down, but I did take pictures from underneath the seats. The pictures are here:

more fj55 pictures pictures by oldarizona - Photobucket

And here are some samples (please feel free to ask questions):

DSC_0014Large.jpg

DSC_0010Large.jpg

DSC_0013Large.jpg

DSC_0021Large.jpg

DSC_0027Large.jpg

DSC_0063Large.jpg

DSC_0012Large.jpg

DSC_0020Large.jpg

DSC_0028Large.jpg

DSC_0023Large.jpg

DSC_0036Large.jpg

I think forgot to mention that I replaced the door hinges on the driver's door with new ones. Of course, this was probably 12-15 years ago so maybe it was not worth mentioning.

DSC_0046Large.jpg

DSC_0079Large.jpg

DSC_0052Large.jpg

DSC_0081Large.jpg

DSC_0008Large.jpg

DSC_0026Large.jpg

DSC_0062Large.jpg

DSC_0083Large.jpg

DSC_0029Large.jpg

DSC_0031Large.jpg

DSC_0055Large.jpg

DSC_0088Large.jpg

DSC_0076Large.jpg

The black stuff in this picture is por-15. As I said, I painted the inside of the doors, and the inside cargo panels with por15. That was probably at least 10 years ago. This is where some leaked out as I was on the inside of the cargo area.

DSC_0072Large.jpg

DSC_0007Large.jpg

DSC_0054Large.jpg

DSC_0016Large.jpg

DSC_0018Large.jpg

As you can see, there are a few places where rust is starting to bubble up. I am not sure how long since I did my last repair, but I would say 5 years.

DSC_0017Large.jpg

DSC_0003Large.jpg

DSC_0056Large.jpg

awesome pig.. love it...I wish the :princess: liked them as much as me..:frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom