72 FJ55 rebuild begins.....I'm going to have questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My first question is the leaf springs. They don't look sagged at all but I want to restore them, is there a guide or suggestions on taking them apart putting new stuff in and putting them back together or should I just sand blast and paint them as is and leave it alone?

Many years ago, I had my rear springs re-arched by a Blacksmith/spring shop. Had them add another leaf too.

Interesting start to your thread🤔

So, yeah, several ways to possibly “restore” leaf springs. You can remove them, remove the center bolt, clean the individual leaves, paint, and then reassemble. You might source a new set of center-bolts beforehand in case the OEM ones are toast.

Where can I get the Teflon pads that are supposed to be between them?

Might search up eBay or talk to a local spring shop. Have you done any google searches?
The spring refurb would be a good time to ditch the military-wraps for the bolted retainers, which will help a little with flex.

I can find “tip pads” pretty easily on eBay, but unless your springs are already drilled to accept those, not sure how much of an undertaking it would be to drill holes in spring steel.

38BEACD1-2434-4E99-AB2A-5CEA1526CEE1.png

This is what I could come up with in a quick search for teflon anti-friction pads. Looks like a roll of material you can cut to length and place between the leaves. I’m sure there’s some better stuff out there.

Morning Spyder,

Before we get too deep into this, what type of rebuild are you planning? Stock or modify as you go, bigger tires for more offroad stuff or just coffee getter. No sense to rebuild stock springs if you're going to upgrade everything else. I bet the stock springs have sagged over the years and maybe even have a couple cracked leaves in the packs.

Ive had a bunch of cruisers mainly 60's and 80's is it normal for the rear axle to have a bolt on diff cover even though it is a drop out 3rd member?

IMG_20200801_102721.jpg

IMG_20200801_102714.jpg

IMG_20200801_102858.jpg

Oh Man, you've got a good start already. Any pictures of the body?

What Rush said, not like the front axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom