72 FJ55 - Engine swap with a 89 JF60 4.0L with Automatic transmission

I have a 1972 FJ55 that I am looking to swap the engine with 89 FJ60 4.0L with auto trans. I have been trying to see if there are any good articles on this type of swap and things to look out for.

I assume you mean an FJ62? Most markets the FJ60 was replaced with a carbuarated version of the 3F which made it an FJ62. North America had a 2F FJ60 until 8/87 when a fuel injection 3F was introduced as the 3FE.

I have owned my 89 FJ62 since 1993 and kicked around the idea of a H55F five speed conversion. Probably just keep the auto. Got use to it being a slug on the highway. If I were to do a 3FE in an earlier model would be with a H55F. May do a llittle in a lighter vehicle with the auto but would lose some of the comforts of the FJ62. If I owned a nice FJ55 would not modify anything that could easily be undone. If I didn't have a nice FJ62 I would go to the effort of the auto when it would be as nice a driver as the FJ62 was right from the factory

greenbeast

GOLD Star
As Living in the past has eluded to with the auto tranny the conversion brings a little life back to the 3FE. I have owned both the auto and a H55 swap 62 and so wish I still had the manual.

IF you decide to go anywhere in the mountains with the auto your gonna be miserable, just my experience when I moved mine here from Oklahoma.

IF you decide to go anywhere in the mountains with the auto your gonna be miserable, just my experience when I moved mine here from Oklahoma.

At one point I had 33" tires and a 2" lift on my FJ62. Going from 1,100' elevation to 7,000" on weekends it was a real dog. I switched to 235s only because I couldn't find 225 the standard size in light truck only passenger tires. The vehicle now lives and 7,000' and run 31s. I still on occasion use the shifter to keep it in lower gears on hill climbs. If my 62 was a DD would seriously consider the five speed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom