72 FJ40 with 2F & 4 spd crossmember fit issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 72 FJ40 (11/71) that I recently installed a 79 2F w/ 4spd and transfer case in. After installing it I noticed that there wouldn't have been room enough with the crossmember if I had installed the parking brake beforehand. I thought I'd done my research and even today can't find anything related to the frame crossmember being an issue with this type of install. To the best of my knowledge I've installed the rear motor mounts correctly. Any help is appreciated.

20200220_155756_copy_512x469.jpg
20200220_155858_copy_512x588.jpg
20200220_155935_copy_512x583.jpg
20200220_160005_copy_472x549.jpg
20200220_160018_copy_472x629.jpg

that is all correct, your frame is setup for a 3 speed which is shorter than the 4 speed.
cut the tube and move rearward
or IIRCC others who have done this remove the rear mounts and lower transfer to install drum and then re-install mounts. I believe there is enough clearance for the driveshaft but it would make life easier down the road to just move the tube.

that is all correct, your frame is setup for a 3 speed which is shorter than the 4 speed.
cut the tube and move rearward
or IIRCC others who have done this remove the rear mounts and lower transfer to install drum and then re-install mounts. I believe there is enough clearance for the driveshaft but it would make life easier down the road to just move the tube.

Depending on your skill set you can make the torque tube removable or move it completely. Mine is like that but Ill remove the mounting bolts from the bellhousing and lower the rear of the engine while someone watches the head at the firewall and fan at the radiator.

Thanks for the replies. I will probably have to move it back. I'm just surprised it wasnt mentioned as something that would be required for a 4spd in an older chassis. Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies. I will probably have to move it back. I'm just surprised it wasnt mentioned as something that would be required for a 4spd in an older chassis. Thanks again.

I ran into it this year. Did not know either. My split case in my 68 is nowhere close to it

A 5 speed will fit in without the ebrake if you change change to a full float or a super thin disc ebrake on the transfer case without cutting the tube

Post # 4 & 5 in the link above.

Last edited:
Plan B just loosen the front motor mounts, remove the back motor mounts then lower the back. This is how I did it on my 68 more than twenty-five years ago. I also installed a few fender washers under the front motor mounts which lowered the back a little for better clearance to the floor. Have thought about replacing the torque behind the transfer with a later style that is shaped different. It arches up where the hand brake is.

Plan B just loosen the front motor mounts, remove the back motor mounts then lower the back. This is how I did it on my 68 more than twenty-five years ago. I also installed a few fender washers under the front motor mounts which lowered the back a little for better clearance to the floor. Have thought about replacing the torque behind the transfer with a later style that is shaped different. It arches up where the hand brake is.

To be honest I'll probably give this a shot first. I have my remaining parts now to finish the parking brake install so may give it a shot this weekend. Nothing else on the motor is hooked up right now, so not too hard except the motor mounts.

If I ever do anything with my torque tube I will not be putting the original one back in. I'll use this one.

IMG_20190610_091829413.jpg

These style makes it easier to work on the hand brake in the future. Would also move it back to match where it's located on 73+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom