craigslist 72 FJ40 in Culver City - Tan - looks good (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
not mine $19,750

---------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone!

Selling my 1972 land cruiser FJ40 with a 1979 Drivetrain - Drives Great/Strong!!!
2F engine (1979)
4 Speed Transmission (1979)
Power Steering
Power Disc Front Brakes
Newly Upholstered Interior in Front and Back!
New Fuel injection system
New Wiring throughout
New Stainless Exhaust
New 32"AT Tires
New Shocks
Springs Rebuilt
New Fuel Tank
New Upgraded Gauges
New Heater
All new Fluids (oil, front and rear differentials, transmission)
New Brake Slave Cylinder
EVERYTHING WORKS!

Very little rust!!

Clean Title in Hand - $19,750 obo

Thx!

00000_3lERJHjuj8nz_0bE0fj_1200x900.jpg

00B0B_22GYfakjsqTz_0kI0dR_1200x900.jpg

00B0B_fAG5QRRuyzGz_0kI0eJ_1200x900.jpg

00g0g_aCVZhCPv5XGz_0kI0dt_1200x900.jpg

00l0l_gtUmbZytJUuz_0kI0cB_1200x900.jpg

more

00N0N_d1XL3XV4d1Hz_0kI08J_1200x900.jpg

00p0p_f3NcKPhHDbUz_0kI0eY_1200x900.jpg

00u0u_icHlBOr96aAz_0kI09C_1200x900.jpg

00X0X_d4rCjjt7zHyz_0kI0di_1200x900.jpg

00404_l50v698KbHjz_0kI0ez_1200x900.jpg

Guys Im an old new guy never bought an FJ40 before and am shopping. This looks like a really nice cruiser. obviously without undercarriage pics there are a lot of unknowns. Any advice is welcome. PS Im over in Tampa Fl so transporting sounds like a large hurdle to overcome
thanks

Welcome! not a huge hurdle, shippers can be had for about $1000-$1500 cross coast last time I did it. If it rolls, they won't complain. I like using private companies, aka hot shotters. They can be found on CL as well. With an FJ like this, no need for covered! Good luck and monitor the forum, I post what I think is worthy. Keep in mind there are about 10 others looking at the same posts when you think it looks good :) haha

Welcome! not a huge hurdle, shippers can be had for about $1000-$1500 cross coast last time I did it. If it rolls, they won't complain. I like using private companies, aka hot shotters. They can be found on CL as well. With an FJ like this, no need for covered! Good luck and monitor the forum, I post what I think is worthy. Keep in mind there are about 10 others looking at the same posts when you think it looks good :) haha
thanks much. Ive sent an email for some undercarriage pics.

Don’t miss that it has a ‘1974 and up’ model year frame. What’s up with THAT?

*****prospective buyers, ensure no title funny business with this one! My guess is that a PO put the ‘72 body on the ‘79 frame. Yet somehow the truck is listed as a ‘72. No way that frame # can satisfactorily match with a 1972 VIN tag****

Last edited:
Don’t miss that it has a ‘1974 and up’ model year frame. What’s up with THAT?

*****prospective buyers, ensure no title funny business with this one! My guess is that a PO put the ‘72 body on the ‘79 frame. Yet somehow the truck is listed as a ‘72. No way that frame # can satisfactorily match with a 1972 VIN tag****
I read 1979 drivetrain, which is very feasible.

Ad states clean title in hand. I would definitely verify.

Guys Im an old new guy never bought an FJ40 before and am shopping. This looks like a really nice cruiser. obviously without undercarriage pics there are a lot of unknowns. Any advice is welcome. PS Im over in Tampa Fl so transporting sounds like a large hurdle to overcome
I read 1979 drivetrain, which is very feasible.

Ad states clean title in hand. I would definitely verify.
I did that for you guys. And I was correct. VIN tag matches the title. Frame horn # does not. For me, I walk away from stuff like that. Nice enough guy selling.
What I believe happened is a PO swapped the full 1972 body tub/interior onto a 1979 frame and running gear. What they SHOULD have done was affix the 1979 VIN badge to the body, so frame, engine, body match- and use the 1979 title. 1979 title may have been lost, branded, etc.
Guy also said he was able to reg truck with no issues. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:
It’s Greg again, the Cruiser flipper. lol
I’ve noticed his pattern, he tries to buy everything for about 15k or less, and sell everything for about 20k or more.

It’s Greg again, the Cruiser flipper. lol
I’ve noticed his pattern, he tries to buy everything for about 15k or less, and sell everything for about 20k or more.
This guy Greg is a flipper? I spoke to seller (Greg) for about 30 mins. He said he owned a '75 years ago and bought this in Utah on an impulse last year. He lost his job and is selling due to that life event. He did not seem knowledgeable about cruisers, admitted as much to me. Was he playing me? This guy is known to buy and flip 40s? I'm not asking about the frame VIN non-matching stuff. Just about this seller and his character.

I did that for you guys. And I was correct. VIN tag matches the title. Frame horn # does not. For me, I walk away from stuff like that. Nice enough guy selling.
What I believe happened is a PO swapped the full 1972 body tub/interior onto a 1979 frame and running gear. What they SHOULD have done was affix the 1979 VIN badge to the body, so frame, engine, body match- and use the 1979 title. 1979 title may have been lost, branded, etc.
Guy also said he was able to reg truck with no issues. Caveat emptor.
This is a big deal in CA because '75 and older is smog exempt. If this was titled as a '79 it would have to be smogged, and it would not pass smog with that fuel injection conversion on it, "unless you know a guy". I've never been down that path before and really don't want to.

This guy Greg is a flipper? I spoke to seller (Greg) for about 30 mins. He said he owned a '75 years ago and bought this in Utah on an impulse last year. He lost his job and is selling due to that life event. He did not seem knowledgeable about cruisers, admitted as much to me. Was he playing me? This guy is known to buy and flip 40s? I'm not asking about the frame VIN non-matching stuff. Just about this seller and his character.
Yes, same guy.
I live/work relatively close to these 40's that keep coming up for sale. I've called and emailed on a few over the years. Mostly the same story with a few tweaks for the new "potential" buyer. And if I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty confident he's on the Mud forum now. You'll see VERY old FJ40 classifieds pop-up with a "is this still available, very interested" same nick-name/member most of the time. Then a Craigslist ad pops up within a very short time, sometimes in a couple different states, same cruiser, higher price.
Not faulting anyone for making money, if they're honestly representing the history and upfront about the vehicle.

Yes it is him. he does come up with a few god ones at times. You need to be careful cause he will post that they are smog ready!
And most of the times they have no smog equipment.
He has come by my house at times and has asked if I will sell my cruisers or the cruiser that is sitting in my front yard.
I already know who it is. and I just say no!

Yes it is him. he does come up with a few god ones at times. You need to be careful cause he will post that they are smog ready!
And most of the times they have no smog equipment.
He has come by my house at times and has asked if I will sell my cruisers or the cruiser that is sitting in my front yard.
I already know who it is. and I just say no!
Good to know. Thanks for the response. I cannot stand dis-honest folks.

Last edited:
I bought a 4 Runner from him. he advertised it in Santa Monica. I drove to SM checked it out looked it over. I asked why you showing it in SM? And not in Culver City? I got some chopped up reply that he would get better money in SM. When it came down to buying it I went o his house which was only a few blocks away from me in CC. I always had a scratch your head moments with him. The 4 runner actually is still running and kicking. My Gf's sister has ran it to the ground with little to no maintenance. I have already swapped the motor due to running the engine dry. so it was never what he sold me. it was more neglect her part. but still be careful and check the history and the Vin numbers on the trucks he sells you. I have come across few of the 40's he sells with a list of things missing or not right.

I agree with @RodrigzCrzr - "IF" you buy something from him, pay very, very close attention to the smog equipment. (if you live somewhere where it's required)I 100% know a few of the rigs he's offered were lacking significant parts and there was no way the 40's would pass legitimately. And like it was said before, he's had a smog certificate.

What then happens is an unsuspecting/uneducated buyer pays a premium for a vehicle that had a current smog certificate for transfer of sale, but now cannot be registered a couple years later due to lack of proper emissions equipment. (the smog cert was bought, knowingly fraudulent and passed on to the buyer, vehicle is in their name, they think everything is fine.........)

Yes, same guy.
I live/work relatively close to these 40's that keep coming up for sale. I've called and emailed on a few over the years. Mostly the same story with a few tweaks for the new "potential" buyer. And if I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty confident he's on the Mud forum now. You'll see VERY old FJ40 classifieds pop-up with a "is this still available, very interested" same nick-name/member most of the time. Then a Craigslist ad pops up within a very short time, sometimes in a couple different states, same cruiser, higher price.
Not faulting anyone for making money, if they're honestly representing the history and upfront about the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom