72 FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1403990496.447080.jpg

Hi I'm new to this forum. I have been reading the frequently asked questions and help guides, one of the suggestions was that I introduce myself. Well this is my dads 72 Land Cruiser that he bought in 1974 with eight thousand miles on it. My brother tried a restoration of it 15 years ago and its been kept in a garage (sometimes mine) over the last 15 years so now I'm getting ready to do something with it. Many of the threads that I have read have some age to them so here it goes. Being July 2014 and the fact that some parts may be getting hard to get I'm wondering if in doing this build I should just use the factory motor or try to find a 2F from a later model to upgrade? Also should I stay with the factory 3 speed and if I do will it not be road worthy? I am on a limited budget and I will only use it on the weekends now and again however I would like to tow a small aluminum boat to a lake its about 30 miles from my home and maybe someday I'd like to drive it to Colorado will this be possible with the running gear that came on it factory? I appreciate any feedback and I'm not looking to be redundant with asking questions that have already been asked it's just that most of the threads are old and I'm not finding parts easily available I might be looking in the wrong place.

I can tell you from experience that the 72 in its factory configuration is a very capable vehicle and easily able to pull a boat and to make long trips. Whether yours is still in good enough condition to do everything you want to do will probably require that you check out all of the major systems thoroughly and make any necessary repairs. Oftentimes upgrades/replacements rather than rebuild or repair are based on original parts availability or lack thereof. I've been fortunate enough to be able to maintain my 72 in pretty much stock configuration and find it quite serviceable and have little or no desire to "upgrade" any of the mechanical systems (ok, other than the electronic ignition).

So, yea, it's quite likely that your 72 will do everything you want it to do just as it is. Good luck; you've got a great vehicle there.

Thank you for your input Kayaker. With your 72 in stock configuration at 60 miles an hour on the freeway what RPM do you run? I am sure excited about the opportunity to get to rebuild my dads old cruiser I think my brother unfortunately stuck some manafre parts on it that when I read many of these forms sound like may not have been the best idea I will be trying to go back to stock as possible I just was hoping to be able to maintain highway speed.

Not sure about the RPMs at 60 but at 70 mph, it will still jump if I floor it.

I too did the Manafre thing back in the 70s, Rochester carb, deco distributor and headers. They worked fine, but were certainly no improvement, and one by one I discarded the after market parts and returned to the stock ones. My quest at the time was better gas mileage which it didn't deliver. Given that I was paying about $.75 per gallon at the time, it seems pretty ridiculous now.

That being said, if your engine is in good shape, you should have no trouble running at highway speed even with the Manafre parts. You will need ear protectors though, and don't even think about carrying on a conversation. Just make sure your brakes are in good working condition before you tow anything.

Well that is good to know and exciting for me because I believe I can stay with most of what I've got on my truck Brakes are the areas that I am researching right now did you leave the factory drums on there or did you upgrade your brakes? Or did you find if your brakes are in good working order that they stop well? I was planning on using a 33 or 35 inch tire possibly, do you think that would cause me any trouble? I also wanted to put the factory rims and hub caps back on it but I wanted to fit them with the larger tires 33 or 35 inch tire is that possible? Thank you very much for your help.

what are the Man-a-Fre part you are suspicious about ?

I still have the factory drums and they work quite well but I'm careful to address any issues (pulling, low fluid, etc) as soon as they occur. I'm running 31 x 10.50 General AT Grabbers on the stock 5.5" steel rims and I really like the size and performance. They fit well in the wheel wells ( look neither anemic nor blown out of proportion) which is the look I want. I ran an 8" wheel for years, ultimately with a Dunlop radial street tread (again hoping for a quieter, softer, more fuel efficient ride) but was amazed at the improvement I got when I switched back to the stock wheel and AT tires - it was like getting power steering (which I don't have), an improvement I wasn't expecting. I've noticed no change in noise level or ride quality; go figure.

Larger tires will fit the factory rims, but running a larger tire may cause clearance issues if you have a stock suspension so unless you want to go go down that road, do some research before you buy. I notice some rounding of the tread on the 10.50, and would have gone with a 9.50 if I could have found it, so I imagine anything wider will just exacerbate that problem. Fortunately there's lots of discussion in this forum about tires so you can research that if nobody chimes in.

[QUOT E="DSRTRDR, s post: 9256558, member: 5222"]what are the Man-a-Fre part you are suspicious about ?[/QUOTE]

It has a header, intake and a weber carb kit and I think they all came from Manafre. I think the shocks also came from there. all that equipment may be fine it just seems like Some posts have not been favorable. Have you had good results with them? I was looking at their front disc brake kit.

Thank you copper for the reply and it gives me confidence that my OEM build will come out well. I think your morning effect is a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom