72??? FJ40 BIG SNOWBLOWER (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
MY DAD HAS A 1972?? AND WANT'S TO CHANGE IT INTO A LARGE SNOWBLOWER BECAUSE OF IT'S SHORT WHEELBASE. CURRENTLY THE BLOWER IS MOUNTED ON A 1/2 CHEVY SURBURBAN. THIS THING WEIGHTS IN AT 1000LBS, IS ABOUT 7 FEET WIDE CARRIES A 24 HORSEPOWER MOTOR.

HAS ANYBODY PUT SOME SORT OF ONE TON AXLE'S AND SUSPENSION UNDER THERE RIG?

ANY OTHER PROBLEMS YOU CAN THINK OF OR SUGGESTIONS?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANYHELP.

Re: 72??? FJ40 BIG SNOWPLOW

the rear full floaters are beefy enough, i know because we use them over here on our 45's, and their rated to carry a payload in the back of 1000 kg

72??? FJ40 BIG SNOWPLOW

my 40 was resurected from plow duty 8)

I SHOULD DESCRIBE THIS THING A BIT BETTER. IT IS A SNOWBLOWER, BIGGER THEN A PLOW, IT CARRIES A 24 HORSE MOTOR AND HAS A 7 FOOT AUGER, CAN THROW SNOW SOME FIFTY FEET. SO YOUR NOT REALLY PUSHING THE SNOW JUST MOVING ALONG AND THROWING IT OUT OF THE WAY

i'll buy the 40 from you if you're reasonable w/ the price.

gumby is right, the fj40 is an awesome vehicle, and you should be treated as such. get an old 88" land rover and put the plow on the front of it. either that or some heep.

and yes, the 40 axles are 1 ton.

goodness, that thing is ridiculous.

WHAT A MONSTROSITY. WHAT WE HAVE...is only one auger but the rest of the blower part looks the same. Not that there has been that much snow in Alaska in the last few years. Sounds like most of you think it will work but would rather see the fj40 wheelled. Thanks to all for the help, and any more suggestions are welcome.

PS The FJ40 has 33's needs a clutch and an overhaul, new corners and fenders, possibly a floor and oh yes new shag carpet.

WHAT A MONSTROSITY. WHAT WE HAVE...is only one auger but the rest of the blower part looks the same. Not that there has been that much snow in Alaska in the last few years. Sounds like most of you think it will work but would rather see the fj40 wheelled. Thanks to all for the help, and any more suggestions are welcome.

PS The FJ40 has 33's needs a clutch and an overhaul, new corners and fenders, possibly a floor and oh yes new shag carpet.

I think it would handle it. It has more or less the same front axle as the fj45 one ton trucks have. From some of the things I've seen done to 40s, and how hard some beat on them, it should take it.

In an ideal world I'd upgrade the front axle to have the 79 and newer large pattern knuckles and disc brakes.

If this mounts to the front of the truck, you may also need som balast in the rear end to offset the weight in the front. BFG ATs seem to be good winter tires from what I've read.
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom