72 f distributor rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all
Has anybody rebuilt a distibutor on a f motor? I did see a 2f rebuild, basicly all I need to do is replace the top bearing. Any ideas thoughts?
Thanks
Kyle

My advice would be to either put a chevy 235 distributor in, or find a mallory magnetic breakerless distributor and do away with your points all together. When i bought my toyota it had a chevy distributor and it worked great but i also had the toyota one, the advantage i found with the chevy one is that i could buy parts from the local auto parts store along with the fact that the cap has brass contacts instead of the aluminum ones found on the toyota. However i mad the switch to a mallory magnetic breakerless with a high voltage coil and it has never ran better.

The issue with a rebuild is coming up with the bushing for the dizzy. There are two bushings one top and one bottom. You will need to press them out then press in replacements. I just knocked out a set using a drift from my 1974 dizzy. Just knock the top one all the way down until it hits the bottom one then drive them both on out. Took less than a minute. The outside diameter of the bushings is 0.625 . The shaft diameter is 0.490. Shaft was measured BELOW the bushing so does not indicate wear. The top bearing is 0.795 tall. The bottom bearing is 0.740 tall. The bushing material does not appear to be bronze. I really don't know what it is.

One idea presenteed here recently was to have a machine shop do this. They have access to bushings that could possibly be reamed to fit. Plus they would know what material type to use. Hope this helps!
P8260017.JPG
P8260012.JPG

I believe that Jim C. is the only one who rebuilds the dissys. He probably has done this or could do it for you. You might do better finding a good used one. Why don't you PM him and see what his price would be. He could recurve it and put vac advance on it to if that's what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom