72' EVAP Delete/Tuning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So to my understanding my 72' 1.5F motor has a vacuum switching valve for emissions. Since I don't know if this early emission control works and im having trouble tuning my carb I decided to eliminate it.

A previous thread discussed this and blocked off the intake manifold port and lower carb port. They said that both vacuum retarded dizzy and carb diaphragm need full time vacuum but never said from where, to each other? '72 FJ40 Emissions Control Device~Advice - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/72-fj40-emissions-control-device-advice.551434/

Then once these are all connected properly how much would I have to potentially advance timing, base idle mixture turns etc. Not sure if it matters but I also have headers but that prob doesn't make a difference at idle. Little bit of a carb noob on these Aisin boys

PXL_20230204_010431915.jpg

PXL_20230204_010447832~2.jpg

PXL_20230204_010358718~2.jpg

So to my understanding my 72' 1.5F motor has a vacuum switching valve for emissions. Since I don't know if this early emission control works and im having trouble tuning my carb I decided to eliminate it.

A previous thread discussed this and blocked off the intake manifold port and lower carb port. They said that both vacuum retarded dizzy and carb diaphragm need full time vacuum but never said from where, to each other? '72 FJ40 Emissions Control Device~Advice - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/72-fj40-emissions-control-device-advice.551434/

Then once these are all connected properly how much would I have to potentially advance timing, base idle mixture turns etc. Not sure if it matters but I also have headers but that prob doesn't make a difference at idle. Little bit of a carb noob on these Aisin boys

View attachment 3238398

View attachment 3238399

View attachment 3238400
I'm pretty sure that you have an F engine.
On a vacuum retard dizzy, don't bother to hook it to vacuum.
I got the vacuum for my throttle positioner from the port at the base of the carb you have marked with a red x.
I'm running 22 degrees BTDC right now

20200913_093652.jpg

Is it vacuum retard distributor?
Yes thats what I've been told for a 72 with the F155 motor, a F motor with the oiling advantages of a 2F. I also have the weird multi-vented fuel tank that runs to the middle seatback. No one reproduces one and it works in conjunction with that EVAP control, so eliminating that would help me upgrade to an older style fuel tank later on...

Last edited:
Yes thats what I've been told for a 72 with the F155 motor, a F motor with the oiling advantages of a 2F. I also have the weird multi-vented fuel tank that runs to the middle seatback. No one reproduces one and it works in conjunction with that EVAP control, so eliminating that would help me upgrade to an older style fuel tank later on...
Yes, definitely a vacuum regard distributor.

A 72 with original F155 motor does not have "oiling advantages of the 2F."

Any F engine with the original oil filter bracket fastened to the intake manifold has a partial flow filtering system.

Sone people have reported fuel vapor odors when the evap system was not present. YMMV.

As others have said…

72’ F is an F155

The filler on valve cover F155 w/remote oil filter off the intake manifold was used 72-73

The only what we call the F and a half 1.5F or F.5 is a 74’ F155

The 74’ F155 from 9/73-12/74 had the improved oiling system

So which vacuum port do I connect my vac guage to while setting timing?
To any one of the ports on the intake manifold. I use this one for my in dash vacuum gauge

20230129_171615.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom