72' 40 exhaust route question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JustJay

SILVER Star
Threads
Wondering if anyone can help me with a potential exhaust routing issue....

I'm in the process of restoring my 72' and am going to put the 2" Old Man Emu lift kit on it in a couple of weeks. As I was doing some prior investigating I noticed that the existing exhaust runs real close ( less than 1/2"?) to the rear shock. So much so that it melted part of the rubber. See photos. Wondering if this is the stock route or did this change route when a PO had an axillary gas tank installed (which I've since removed). I looked at SOR's diagram and it sure looks like it might be the stock exhaust route.

I obviously don't want this to happen to the new shock. Wondering if I'll need to make any modifications. Then again, construction of the OME shock seems like it'd be more resistant to heat.

Also, when I mount the 33 tires seems like it'll be awfully close to the side tailpipe. Thoughts?
img_5744-jpg.3335519
IMG_5745.JPG
IMG_5747.JPG
IMG_5748.JPG

IMG_5744.JPG

IMG_5745.JPG

IMG_5746.JPG

Epc shows the same routing for a 72, I wonder if it should go up at more of an angle, vertically nearer to the tube when the shocks mount. This would give you a couple of inches clearance it looks like from your photos.

Wondering if anyone can help me with a potential exhaust routing issue....

I'm in the process of restoring my 72' and am going to put the 2" Old Man Emu lift kit on it in a couple of weeks. As I was doing some prior investigating I noticed that the existing exhaust runs real close ( less than 1/2"?) to the rear shock. So much so that it melted part of the rubber. See photos. Wondering if this is the stock route or did this change route when a PO had an axillary gas tank installed (which I've since removed). I looked at SOR's diagram and it sure looks like it might be the stock exhaust route.

I obviously don't want this to happen to the new shock. Wondering if I'll need to make any modifications. Then again, construction of the OME shock seems like it'd be more resistant to heat.

Also, when I mount the 33 tires seems like it'll be awfully close to the side tailpipe. Thoughts?
img_5744-jpg.3335519
View attachment 3335526View attachment 3335527View attachment 3335528

View attachment 3335519

View attachment 3335523

View attachment 3335524

this is your issue , here spelled out well in the Microfice Diagram , print this out on a fill size printer paper , and hand to directly in the HANDS , of the Exhaust shop you choose to correct this more common then most miostakes i see on FJ40 routing of EXAUST ,

- if the exhaust shop says they cant do this per the Factory Diagram, below
WALK AWAY then and there , try anther shop , bottom line .....

- there is a fundimental reason TOYOTA routed it EXACTLY like u see below ,......

- you the Owner Operator are driving on the LH side of LHD FJ40 ,

- the
POISON Exhaust Fumes and such need to be as far away as the driver driving so he or she does not become overcome , pass out , crash and get hurt or die even god forbid .......

- nothing else matters here more then making this correct , because ............

THIS IS THE WAY .....

1685442190456.jpeg

this is your issue , here spelled out well in the Microfice Diagram , print this out on a fill size printer paper , and hand to directly in the HANDS , of the Exhaust shop you choose to correct this more common then most miostakes i see on FJ40 routing of EXAUST ,

- if the exhaust shop says they cant do this per the Factory Diagram, below
WALK AWAY then and there , try anther shop , bottom line .....

- there is a fundimental reason TOYOTA routed it EXACTLY like u see below ,......

- you the Owner Operator are driving on the LH side of LHD FJ40 ,

- the
POISON Exhaust Fumes and such need to be as far away as the driver driving so he or she does not become overcome , pass out , crash and get hurt or die even god forbid .......

- nothing else matters here more then making this correct , because ............

THIS IS THE WAY .....

I am finding this same diagram on Amayama for the US market. This is not how it was ran originally. It was ran so it ended out the back left side at angle towards the back.

I am personally a fan of how it was run in the back starting 1/79. As we have been discussing I looked closer at my 79 yesterday. I've only my 79 for twenty-five years, guess it was time I looked a closer at the routing. See purpose of the two heat shields.
PXL_20230517_022350393.jpg

Front one guessing is for the front part of the rear wheel.
PXL_20230530_000800529.jpg

The second one is much larger and does protect the rear shock from the exhaust.
PXL_20230530_000735407.jpg

Unfortunately a PO had the muffler replaced with an aftermarket one welded in. But the hanger is still intact.
PXL_20230530_000727822.jpg

It's sad because Toyota ran their exhaust so it was bolted together not welded. What's sad today is Toyota has reproduced a good part of this exhaust under the Heritage Program but it's not available to us in America.

SOR lists that style tail pipe as 68 to 12/74. It gets hung off the frame and routed closer to it - yours seems to be mounted on that drop bracket you have (which I would delete unless youre doing some serious towing.) Their kit looks to be available right now, that it was recently sold out
046A.gif

Here is my 1970.
IMG_1306.jpg

image0 (2).jpeg

The KYB shocks dont have a rubber boot to melt. You could also change the shock geometry by going to a later spring plate or using the 79 series plate (I think but would need a different bushing, or in my case a bushing sleeve delete.) This would move the shock mount down below the leaf spring and away from your exhaust.

Now that you have cut the rigid support welded to the hitch just lift exhaust up till it is just barely below cross member and mount with proper flexible mount, tip should be just under quarter panel with maybe 1/2 " to spare like post #3 but even a bit higher but not touching frame or cross member.

You should remove the rubber boots on your shocks. It traps dirt and moisture on top of the shock and will cause the seal to go bad.

Last edited:
SOR lists that style tail pipe as 68 to 12/74. It gets hung off the frame and routed closer to it - yours seems to be mounted on that drop bracket you have (which I would delete unless youre doing some serious towing.) Their kit looks to be available right now, that it was recently sold out
View attachment 3335892
Here is my 1970.
View attachment 3335893
View attachment 3335894

The KYB shocks dont have a rubber boot to melt. You could also change the shock geometry by going to a later spring plate or using the 79 series plate (I think but would need a different bushing, or in my case a bushing sleeve delete.) This would move the shock mount down below the leaf spring and away from your exhaust.

i posted a FACTORY TOYOTA firfst GEN. EPC program diagram ,

NOT a 3rd party sourced copy and paist link , ...fyi

that SOR DIagram is 100% WRONG for a usa spec. 1972 FJ40 that was sold off the new car lot back in 1972 date of first use day 1

100% of any of there web site wide , parts diagrams are HOME MADE also ............fyi

is this a bad thing , most of the time ..........no

but in this case IT IS ,,,,,

matt

matt

Last edited:
i posted a FACTORY TOYOTA firfst GEN. EPC program diagram ,

NOT a 3rd party sourced copy and paist link , ...fyi

that SOR DIagram is 100% WRONG for a usa spec. 1972 FJ40 that was sold off the new car lot back in 1972 date of first use day 1

they sell what they can sourse

100% of any of there web site wide , parts diagrams are HOME MADE also ............fyi

is this a bad thing , most of the time ..........no

but in this case IT IS ,,,,,

matt

matt
Firstly, you shared an image with no context except a toyodiy.com website 2023 copyright, with some images pasted over it using Toyota's trademarked name. I have no reason to believe it is any more or less creditable than SOR, which while those parts are aftermarket reproductions, they are not any more "home made" than taking a diagram to an exhaust shop as you recommended.

Second, I don't think it matters.

Finally, as a matter of practice, I immediately dismiss content from authors that use all caps to get their point across. I find the internet to be a much more civil place this way.

Cheers

Hate to disagree but the diagram you show is not correct for a FJ40 sold originally in the US prior 1975. The exhaust always exited out behind the left rear tire, angled back. When Toyota changed to a larger muffler and mounted it under the middle of the rear floor was the first time the muffler exited out the right side. What I see happening is Toyota streamlining their old 40 diagrams to a fewer number. I even heard a rumor Toyota is going dropped more 40 series than those prior to 3/69. I trust SOR diagram over those updated to 2023. Toyota doesn't care about the old Land Cruisers. Heritage Program is a joke if we can't get anything you can't easily hold in one hand.

My 72 40 had the exhaust running out the drivers side and when I ordered new walker exhaust parts for it, back in the early 80's, they also exited out the drivers side. The only thing I hated about it was the down pipe went below the skid plate, which seemed stupid.

My 72 40 had the exhaust running out the drivers side and when I ordered new walker exhaust parts for it, back in the early 80's, they also exited out the drivers side. The only thing I hated about it was the down pipe went below the skid plate, which seemed stupid.

If you run a PTO winch there is very little clearance for exhaust. I melted a PTO housing running the exhaust above the skid plate. Also with the skid plate it boxes in the area. Toyota had no heat shields in the area under left front floor. Wasn't until 11/71 Toyota added a heat shield for the muffler. But never any heat shield above the skid plate. 1/79 exhaust ran outside the frame in that area and a heat shield above the CAT was added. I too switch my 68's exhaust back to original in the early nineties. Was long before dented the area below the firewall. Went back above the skid plate. That's when I melted the PTO housing. This is a 10/75 that still has the original exhaust. Obviously it's never been used off road. No way the exhaust would be intact used on anything but mid forest service roads.
0007.JPG

This is what's on my '67.
She hasn't seen a ton of modifications over her lifetime.

20230530_180557.jpg

20230530_180516.jpg

Man, sorry for starting this thread and leaving it behind - computer problems on my end! Ugh.

Anyway, really helpful stuff. I knew I could count on Mud as you all are FAR more knowledgeable!

73FJ40, that is one clean ride. Do you have any other photos of the same from some different angles? Any suggestions on where to get some of those OEM components / bracket / shield, etc.?

Man, sorry for starting this thread and leaving it behind - computer problems on my end! Ugh.

Anyway, really helpful stuff. I knew I could count on Mud as you all are FAR more knowledgeable!

73FJ40, that is one clean ride. Do you have any other photos of the same from some different angles? Any suggestions on where to get some of those OEM components / bracket / shield, etc.?
You can make a heat shield with a little nip & tuck of Flowmaster's largest heat shield #51022 if you can't find the OEM

IMG_2019.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom