'71 rear brake line questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Referring to SOR p/n 086-14H on my Dec '70 FJ55, how does the brake junction block on the rear axle housing mate to the housing? I'm trying to replace all the rear brake lines, and it looks like it will be WAYYYY easier to cut the right/left lines and the flex line, remove the big banjo bolt at the junction and remove the junction.

But does the axle have a "flat" for the junction block to mate to? It looks like one, solid, 38-yr old blob to me.

Question #2: There are a lot of aftermarket generic braided hoses out there that are a LOT cheaper than SOR, what is the thread profile of the hose? I see a lot of -3, -4, etc hoses, I assume these are an SAE size? Do I need something like the 10mm x 1.0 flare nuts I bought for the hard lines?

Just realized you have an FJ55, so this info may not be correct for that axle... Anyway the junction block on a 71 FJ40 is held to the axle with one of two axle vents. Remove the crud and you will see the 14mm bolt. See pic. Remove this bolt and the block is free. There is no 'flat' on the axle.
IMG_1698.jpg

Hmmmm, I thought the bolt was a big banjo bolt, but it looks like there's no banjo to deal with, I just need to find a replacement hose and build some hard lines.

Although it's a more extensive repair than I envisioned when I went to replace my (2) left rear wheel cyls, at least this is easier than trying to break loose that frozen flare nut closest to the pumpkin, with the shock and rear stabilizer link poised to prevent any easy wrench access.

Thanks!

Now, what about the flex line thread size? I'll buy adapters and a longer SAE flex line (to accomodate my future lift).

you might be in luck

You might be in luck

I have one extra stainless steel BF goodrich DOT approved rear brake hose suitable for a 4 inch lift and one front brake line same sort

Mine were bought for my 71 FJ40 though so not sure on fit?

This would cost you a self addressed stamped manilla envelope I could stick it in and send it off

Sent you a PM, bsmith 123.

It just depends on the length, look for my PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom