'71 Hood Ornament? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys and gals, I just bought an FJ40 from Canada (I live in Seattle) and drove it back to the States. The previous owner said it was a '72 but when I wiped off the VIN plate I found that it is a '71! I'm a bit disappointed because i was born in '72 and wanted a truck from the same year. But I still love it.

It being my first FJ, I have a lot of questions. My first is concerning the hood ornament. My truck doesn't have one but, as I understand it, 1971 was the last year that had that chrome piece running down the center of the hood. Is this true?

I've attached a pic. It's in really good shape. No rust. I also have the hard top that I took off to install the roll bar. New bumper is going on after the holidays. I bought new wheels. It had an aftermarket crappy roll bar. I found an OEM one on eBay that I sandblasted, painted, and put on. I bought a new front grill surround. My winter projects are to replace the suspension, replace the GM steering column back to stock, find a center console, instal front disc brakes, and restore the awesome Warn 8074 winch (same as 8274 but w/o the free spool) that came with the truck!

I'll be posting a lot here so thanks in advance for your help. I've dreamed of having this truck for many years. I'm so excited. Thanks.

56039365081__E4573069-C4E2-4E99-80ED-58F311A4F3B2.JPG

a production month to go with the year could be helpful information.

Here are the plaques on the driver side door frame and in the engine bay. The first plaque says August...

IMG_2668.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

Yep, needs a hood spear. In 1972 the hood was pressed in one piece instead of two, negating the need for the spear.

Last edited:
Id like to pics of how that steering gear is working mounted? Hmmm. I’ll be in Seattle next week and may have a spare hood spear I’ll have to look. I’ll be in Ballard specifically.

Yeah, Redgrrr, it's a weird use of Saginaw PS. I've bought all the parts to move the gearbox to the correct inner side of the frame. Let me know if you'd like to meet for a quick coffee while you're in Seattle.

Here are the plaques on the driver side door frame and in the engine bay. The first plaque says August...

View attachment 1859987

View attachment 1859988

Take Note your engine bay DATA ID Plate states its a 1971 also , in the lower LH corner

That Emissions style DATA ID plate was Unique to the 1970 & 1971 Model years Only

your 1971 door Jamb plate is also unique , in size & shape

DSCN7063.JPG
DSCN8679.JPG
DSCN6085.JPG

Those front fenders have been reworked into, something. That lip and flat on the front edge are not as issued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom