'71 FJ40 with a '74 engine... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought this FJ40. The previous owner swapped out the original engine for one from a '74. It runs great (after I adjusted the crazy high idle) but there's a few things I'm curious about. I'm new to these engines so I'd appreciate your help.

What the heck are those plugs on the block someone decided to press flat and seal? Is something else supposed to be there? Also, why did the previous owner also press flat and seal the plug that the orange hose attaches to coming out of the carb?

Thanks

IMG_2670 2.jpg

IMG_2671 2.jpg

56039365081__E4573069-C4E2-4E99-80ED-58F311A4F3B2 2.JPG

The stuff in the head is the old air rail connections, part of an early emissions system.

There are some hex head plugs that you can install instead of having those crimped connections.

It’s hard to tell from the pics but the other one looks like the vacuum port at the base of the carb for the PCV valve.

Thanks for the info. I'll look for those hex head plugs.

Why would someone have sealed off the port for the PCV valve? Have you ever seen that before?

Why would someone have sealed off the port for the PCV valve? Have you ever seen that before?

Start the engine and pull the hose off of the PCV valve, put your thumb on it and check for vacuum.

Mine looks crimped a little but it may have just been made that way.

Come to think of it mine might be significantly different.

OEM plugs for the air rail injector ports are still available from Toyota.

FWIW, I would get the PCV system working properly again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom