'71 FJ40 Turn Signal/Hazard Issue - Symptoms I have not See Before (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read dozens of posts on blinker and hazard issues, but I have symptoms I have not seen anywhere. I have no turn signal blinkers at all and the hazards only work with the key in the ON position (they should work when the key is off, right? I have a new OEM hazard switch, a new turn signal switch and verified the flasher works (as noted, the hazards flash when the key is on.)

Could this be a ground issue?

To answer your question...yes.

Do you have a wiring diagram? Are you comfortable using a multimeter and do you have one? What kind of light bulbs and what wattage are in EACH socket?

The hazards should work with the key in the off position. They are fed from the fuse block by a RG wire. Does the horn work?

I have a wiring diagram and am comfortable using a multimeter, but have not pinpointed the issue yet. I would have to check the bulbs to see what wattage they are. I replaced them all several moths ago and they burn nice and bright when they are on with the headlights. I don't have a horn button so not sure on the batteries.

the part that I am most confused about is the hazards only working when the key is on.

I removed the front turn signals yesterday and cleaned up the contact points on it and the fender to make sure there was a good ground, but still no joy.

Take the multimeter and trace the voltage on the wire that feeds the Hazard Switch starting at the fuse block, it should be a GR wire. It should not be coming from the Ignition switch. An easy way to tell if it has voltage is to honk the horn. They are fed from the same source, if you don't have some PO weirdness taking place.

If all of the lights in all of the assemblies flash with the Hazards and the key on but the Turn Signals don't work at all then the most likely cause would be that the Hazard switch is wired incorrectly.

You need approximately 50 Watts of power to make the OEM style flasher work. That is why it is important to have the right "size" bulb and good grounds. The Turn signals are wired through the hazard light switch. That is why replacing this switch with a non-OEM part is always problematic. Owners are reluctant to spend the money and try to go the cheap route causing migraines for everyone. Don't forget to clean the contacts on the fuse panel and check the fuses with the multimeter.

Thanks for the helpful info. The hazard is a new OEM one so confident is it is good. I will pull the plug off the switch and verify the power is getting to it - I assume I should see power to it when the key is off, right?

You should IF everything is wired correctly. Use your wiring diagram to verify that the switch is wired correctly and that the colors correspond to the correct pins on the switch. If they don't, correct that first. Also clean the fuse blocks first and check that the fuses are good with your multimeter. If there is significant dirt and corrosion then that could cause some of the symptoms you are seeing.

Thanks. The fuse block is brand new as well. There was a lot of PO butchery done to the wiring on this thing that i have have tried to repair - I obviously got something wrong somewhere. What a PITA.

When you say you cleaned up the contact points, do you mean you cleaned up the blinker housing to fender, and fender to frame connections? I had super weird and inconsistent blinker issues. I was worried that I had messed up my harness when I refurbished it as part of my restoration. But it was totally solved by installing a ground wire from the fender to the frame. I was dealing with brand new paint, so my fender wasn't grounding to the frame on its own, and I didn't want to scrape paint off under any of the bolts to fix the connection.

I'd try something very simple like that before going any further.

When you say you cleaned up the contact points, do you mean you cleaned up the blinker housing to fender, and fender to frame connections? I had super weird and inconsistent blinker issues. I was worried that I had messed up my harness when I refurbished it as part of my restoration. But it was totally solved by installing a ground wire from the fender to the frame. I was dealing with brand new paint, so my fender wasn't grounding to the frame on its own, and I didn't want to scrape paint off under any of the bolts to fix the connection.

I'd try something very simple like that before going any further.
He is talking about the front turn signals and the mounting locations for them on the fender.

To help correct the PO weirdness that you are encountering, order the correct color coded wire from @Coolerman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom