'71 FJ40 Transfer Vacuum Shifter Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had this1971 FJ40 about 15 years, mostly stock, 1F, 3-speed, ambulance doors. The vacuum shifter has never worked. The unit at the firewall and the transfer case are both at fault. Neither vacuum shifter parts nor direct shifter parts are available, new or used. Thinking of an Advance Adapters Twin Stick unless somebody has better advice. TIA.

Last edited:
any 3 speed shift mechanism will work

Post a wanted ad in the classifieds, I'm pretty sure someone here on MUD can set you up. If not, call Classic Cruisers.

Last edited:
I have refurbished vacuum control boxes, upper and lower, as well as complete floorshift conversion kits. My contact info is in my signature line.

I have refurbished vacuum control boxes, upper and lower, as well as complete floorshift conversion kits. My contact info is in my signature line.
Mark: Pardon this form of electronic communication as I realize it violates your "just pick up the phone" mantra. But, I think I read that you were recently under the weather. Hope that you are feeling much better and your new year is off to a great start.

Thanks Mark. Curious if the OP has reached any resolution?

65swb45,

I have decided to convert to direct manual shift for the transfer case. So, the hunt is on for shift linkage and the "control box" at the t-case.

65swb45,

I have decided to convert to direct manual shift for the transfer case. So, the hunt is on for shift linkage and the "control box" at the t-case.
I have a complete kit, very competitively priced. But I won’t be able to get to it for a week.

Should be able to fit the Holley stuff in the same box.😉

March timetable at your convenience is not a problem. I have three FJ40s to wake up after 2 years, so will be busy with service related items.

Elder Statesman​

Supporting Vendor

March timetable at your convenience is not a problem.
Answering machine is back on. Leave me a voicemail and I’ll call you back as soon as I can.😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom