'71 FJ40 - Starts and Runs Great at 29 degrees timing?! Bad Distributor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been battling several issues in getting the rig to run right and seem to pretty much have it all figured out. The one thing that perplexes me is the timing. The truck starts easy, idles great at about 780, runs smooth with no hesitations and does not ping, but according to my timing light, it is timed at 29 degrees. The vacuum gauge is around 16-17 lb. If I try to set it a 8 degrees, it runs awfully and sometimes dies.

How can that be? Is it possible that a worn out distributor could make this happen?

Thanks

Usually with a bad distributor the timing will varey.
Pull #1 plug and find TDC and check it with the mark on the balancer and if the rotor is pointing at #1 wire on the cap.

I

That is one thought I had. The light is only a few months old, but I suppose it could have taken a crap.

would check the timing on another vehicle that is running good. If shows timing where it should be look to the vehicle If off on the other vehicle as well look at the timing light.

Keep in mind the BB imbedded to the flywheel is at 7° BTDC. Could be 36° advanced.

I

would check the timing on another vehicle that is running good. If shows timing where it should be look to the vehicle If off on the other vehicle as well look at the timing light.

Keep in mind the BB imbedded to the flywheel is at 7° BTDC. Could be 36° advanced.
I am taking the bb into account already.

If it is a points type dist. check the dwell and it it is an electronic check the air gap.

Not to Hijack your thread but did you figure this out? I seem to have the exact same situation. My rig runs best about 25* according to the timing light.

Not really. I reset the timing to about 10 degrees and adjusted the carb idle and it seems to be running fine. I think my timing light had a stroke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom