71 FJ40 - Right rear turn signal works but right rear brake doesn't......Anyone seen this (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.smokyqd.com
As the subject line reads I have full functionality on the left side (parking, turn signal and brake lights) but the right rear side side I have parking and turn signal but no brake. The brake and turn signal use the same wire (which is brand new all the way to the firewall) so the wire is good. Anyone seen this?

I'm not the guru on this, but I'm thinking the rear tail lamps use #1034 bulbs that have two lighting elements, one for running and brakes, the other for turn. If I'm right, then you may just need a new bulb. If I'm wrong, then I'm open to being schooled.

I'm not the guru on this, but I'm thinking the rear tail lamps use #1034 bulbs that have two lighting elements, one for running and brakes, the other for turn. If I'm right, then you may just need a new bulb. If I'm wrong, then I'm open to being schooled.
Almost, there is one for running but the brake and turn share the same wire(element). That's what makes this a weird issue. If the turn signals work the brake light should work also as its literally the same wire and bub element.

check for signal voltage from the brake switch maybe? if it outputs to each brake light separately.

Solved.: All the wiring traced good. I removed , disassembled and cleaned the turn signal switch. After almost 50 yrs the contacts were heavily pitted. I gave them a good cleaning with emery cloth then a good coating of dielectric grease. Installed and everything works fine. I did have another issue where the blinkers would occasionally 'hang' (stay on) so I decided to take apart and clean the blinker relay. Hopefully that fixes the issue.
While doing this I also upgraded to LED brake lights. These are 'jeep' style brake lights and come all in one assembly (brake/parking/backup). I did have to install a 6 ohm 50 watt resistor between the stop/turn line and gnd in order for their to be enough amperage to operate the signal relay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom