71 fj40 how to engage/disengage the 4wd? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title says, if like to know how engage and disengage the 4wd. The previous owner mentioned the vacuum may not be hooked up so further more I’d like to know the diagnosis portion as well to ensure it’s functioning.

Thank you in advance.

The truck is all original by the way.

There’s a knob and a lever low on the dash, to the right of steering wheel. Pull the knob gives you 4wd (in is 2wd). With the lever all the way forward, you are in t-case high range, pull one notch and t-case neutral, pull all the way toward you and it’s in low range and should also engage that 4wd knob.
To test, lock front hubs and get on loose surface and floor it in 4wd to see if front tires spin.
Depending how the vacuum isn’t hooked up, you could have a huge vacuum leak.
3FEEB79D-1D45-4153-9924-1CA8CBB90AF7.jpeg

If it's like my old 69 it may not have locking hubs and the vacuum pull engages the transfer case front wheels

Here is a link to SOR diagram. As stated above the lever is for high, neutral and low gear.

It's a pretty cool set up. I loved having it on my 69 without the locking hubs. Just pull the nob and you are in 4wd. Didn't have to get out. I'm lazy

Not sure it has the lever at the bottom of the dash. Here is a pick

View attachment 2794066
It's there right next to the parking brake with strings (?) attached to both knob & lever. (I zoomed in). If you make it down to to the 580/680 split, I'm in Dublin/SR with a 1970 for reference. While ours is not as nice as @Skreddy 's S.Green, but it's original and S.Green :)

Last edited:
It's there right next to the parking brake with strings (?) attached to both knob & lever. (I zoomed in). If you make it down to to the 580/680 split, I'm in Dublin/SR with a 1970 for reference.

Ah…I see it now. Thank you and I’ll give it a try this evening. Thanks Mud Gurus!

It's there right next to the parking brake with strings (?) attached to both knob & lever. (I zoomed in). If you make it down to to the 580/680 split, I'm in Dublin/SR with a 1970 for reference. While ours is not as nice as @Skreddy 's S.Green, but it's original and S.Green :)
Maybe not as shiny new, but I am envious of the original paint. Next one….

I have the 4wd lines and vacuum parts from under the dash, to the transfer case, and the 3 speed transfer case as well as the 3 speed transmission if you need any. I just changed to 4 speed on my FJ40. The vacuum line from under the dash, includes FD knob and cable, to the TC you can have for free if you pickup in SoCal. The other parts would be at a cost or trade. All working well. The transmission and tc had the bearings and seals changed, maybe around 1,500 miles ago.

I have the 4wd lines and vacuum parts from under the dash, to the transfer case, and the 3 speed transfer case as well as the 3 speed transmission if you need any. I just changed to 4 speed on my FJ40. The vacuum line from under the dash, includes FD knob and cable, to the TC you can have for free if you pickup in SoCal. The other parts would be at a cost or trade. All working well. The transmission and tc had the bearings and seals changed, maybe around 1,500 miles ago.
Nice! I’ll keep you posted. Came down with a bit of a flu or something…no, it s not Covid. I’m still required to be tested weekly.

Update: to confirm with the hubs locked and giving it the beans with the lever in the most forward position, the tires spun. The middle position is neutral for the t-case? Lastly the lever all the way out in 4-low…correct. I’ll be going the the SOR link provided to see if I have all the necessary parts this weekend.

Edit: when I mean the tires spun I meant the rear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom