71 fj40 Hazard Wiring Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I have been installing a "Painless" harness in a 71' FJ40 for a guy. So far this site has been great with all the extra wiring necessary with the new harness. I am working through the Hazard/Brake/Turn Circuit right now and haven't found quite what I'm looking for. I am trying to identify which wire is which on the hazard plug so that I can tie it in with the turn and brake wiring. I am also looking at the Painless schematic and am a bit confused about the extra Hazard Flasher that is supposed to be wired in. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Try this....
TurnSignalSwitch.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks Coolerman I figured it was on here somewhere... I have a solid green wire what does that go to?

Solid green on a 71 wiring harness is ALWAYS park/tail lights. If you have a green wire on the Hazard Switch clean it better ;), it's probably Green with a Black, Orange, White, Blue or Yellow stripe.

Thanks

Here is what I have...

GRN GRN/BLK GRN/YEL
GRN/BLK GRN/YEL GRN/BLU
GRN/RED GRN/WHT GRN/ORG

That's if I'm looking at the wires coming out of the plug running to the rest of the harness away from the switch. I would have had an easier time of all of this if I had been the one to pull the old harness...Thanks again for all the help, you've been a life saver.

Thanks

Thanks. I'm looking at the wiring diagram and I don't see it on there either. I'm not sure if you have any experience with the Painless connections but I could use some help with the Painless to brake switch plug also.

Wow, been away from this too long! There is indeed a green wire from the turn to the hazard switch. I just posted the wrong pic! I removed the Hazard switch pic and added the turn signal switch diagram with the hazard also shown. That should answer your question.

OK I finally found the diagram I was looking for that shows ALL the components! The GW wire from the brake switch MUST be connected to the S terminal on the turn switch. Hope that clears up any confusion? ;)
TurnSignalSwitchJPGW.jpg

Awesome

That's great man! That is exactly what I needed. Now the White wire on the Painless splices into the turn signal wire and the brake switch...there are four posts on the brake switch, two on top are red/wht and two on the bottom are grn/wht. I'm not sure what goes where...does it matter left to right on the brake switch or is it just red/wht and grn/wht that matter and the left right position is irrelevant.

you will have to recreate some of those connections according to the OEM wiring diagram if you want to use your Toyota switches - the Painless harness does not have the same connections

also keep in mind that the Painless harness is designed for switches that deliver juice when switched, whereas the Toyota switches complete a circuit to ground - opposite philosophies and that's what makes the adaptation a bit complicated

The Red/White will be unused in your application. (they are for the low pressure warning light) That leaves the two GW wires. They are just a simple switch. On goes to +12V from the Painless harness and the other goes to the turn switch. When you step on the brake pedal the brake switch closes sending +12V to the two S terminals on the turn signal switch which then sends it to both brake lights assuming the Hazard or turn signal switch are not activated...

I was curious if the flasher switch changed with the single flasher starting in 7/70. I know I have a few switches and they are different. Checked SOR and it shows five different switches used from 68 thru 84. http://www.sor.com/catproducts.sor?from=182&part.number=182-28&tabpage=TAB1 I never had to do any major rewiring on FJ40. The more I read these wiring threads the greater respect I have for what you Mark (Coolerman). All these years I figured the 71 FST wiring harness I pulled twenty-five years ago out a wrecked one would fit my 68 with very little problem like a light on the dash instead of the hard top.

Thanks

Okay, that makes more sense. So what is the Brake light on the dash for? Is that for ebrake? I've been trying to eliminate the Painless wires that I don't need in this application... Thanks again you have saved me hours of headaches and trial and error.

Okay, that makes more sense. So what is the Brake light on the dash for? Is that for ebrake? I've been trying to eliminate the Painless wires that I don't need in this application... Thanks again you have saved me hours of headaches and trial and error.

the brake warning light is supposed to light up when you have the handbrake pulled, and also when the brake fluid pressure gets low, but not during normal foot brake pedal operation - there's a switch under each brake master cylinder reservoir that a wire connects to - if I remember correctly, that wire would be brown in the Painless harness

The warning light on the dash indeed does dual duty. It's primary function is to show if the brake pressure does not reach a point high enough to turn OFF the two switches located on the master cylinder. The other is to show that you have the E-brake on. Here is the circuit that does that. It uses the two Red/White wires on the brake switch and there is also a switch on the E-brake. Here is a link to a thread where I discuss exactly how this works.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...ty-wiring-question-brake-pressure-switch.html

Also here is the diagram of how that is all connected...
Note: Numbers on the diagram
44 = Master Cylinder Low Pressure Switches
43 = To Turn signal S terminal
42 = 4 Wire Brake Switch
41 = Dash Warning Light
40 = E-Brake Switch under dash
1971FJ40(L).jpg

Alright, reviving an old thread here... I have been away from this project since February. I have been working through this circuit and creating the necessary connections as needed to match everything up to the Painless harness. I have a couple of questions to clear this up. First off I have this Green/Red wire on the hazard switch that is supposed to provide power, I ran it through an inline 20A fuse, but I'm unclear what to splice it to on the Painless harness. As I understand it this should provide power even when the key is off, so that the flashers work always. The other thing I'm confused on is that the Painless schematic says to run a jumper wire in the hazard flasher socket on the fuse block. Does that mean that rather than having the flasher there on the fuse block that I just close the open connection? I have the Hazard Flasher wired in according to the schematic, so I guess I'm confused on whether there are 2 flashers in use for the hazard flashers or if its just the one for the turn circuit and the one for the hazard circuit?

Bumping, any help would be appreciated greatly, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom