71' - FJ40 Exhaust Manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

QB1

Threads
Curious if anybody can tell me what the part is that I am holding inside of the exhaust manifold...? Is it supposed to move on the spindle? Can it be removed...?
Thanks...

IMG_2144.jpg

I ended up afixing mine in the warm position because it was totally shot and I wont be driving my rig in the cold.

Thanks, a very good thread I referenced before doing this. I think when you say closed you're describing cold but I welded the valve in the hot position, which is the position on the right in the picture below. Logic being I don't intend to drive my 40 in the winter and it has been operating the last few years with it flapping in the breeze. Headers don't use a heat riser and work just fine. If I welded it in the cold position it would be an obstruction to smooth exhaust flow and continue to warm the carb beyond what was intended possibly cracking the intake. I feel like removing it all together would create a void in the elbow that would be a detriment to exhaust flow where you would have turbulent air swirling in the corner and continue to heat the intake. So I welded it in the position it was designed to be in when hot.
View attachment 1392794

Pighead's reply in post #21 is more inline with my thinking: "The manual makes for funny reading in a few places, I figger it was just a bad day at the translator's typewriter..." hahaha.

EDIT:
I drew this cross section to illustrate what I was concerned about if I removed the riser all together. I think it would both impact flow and continue to warm to intake without a block off plate.
View attachment 1392814

Thank You #thebigredrocker...great info...
Much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom