71 FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Drew,

Hope you were able to use at least a leaf or two from the '74 :) Looks fantastic so far.

Alex

Hey Drew,

Hope you were able to use at least a leaf or two from the '74 :) Looks fantastic so far.

Alex

Alex-Good to see you are still kicking. The front springs are a combo of both spring packs-the standard front spring, plus the extra military wrap spring with the military wrap cut off. I was tying to increase the load carrying capacity without making it too stiff. Both sets of springs got new Rockford spring pins.

I actually did the same in the rear-FJ62 springs, plus the long leaf from an FJ60, military wrap cut off the donor. I will be very curious to see how stiff and how high it is. I'm aiming for lowish, but with good carrying capacity. I'll know in a few months.

Update

BIg additions today, I'm trying to link the pics, appologies if it doesn't work

Cube dweller came over and helped me get the motor out of the "old 40" and install in the "new 40". It went very smooth. We started about 7:15 am and had the motor installed in it's new home by 8:45 am. I spent the rest of the day completing the desmog, and hooking the powersteering back up. The old fuel lines came out cleanly and I could just bolt back in place. That was a bonus. Tomorrow, I hope to have the radiator supports out of the old truck since at some point they were cut out of my 71 frame. In 2 weeks I hope to swap the body, and then it will really start to take shape. Maybe I will get to take it to Rubithon.:D

-Sorry-links did not work. I'll get some tech assist and fix it later!

Pics should work. Some observations.

The combination of the 2F, SM420 and transfer case is heavy!

It is much easier to get the combination out after you remove the rear brackets for the motor mounts.

You need some way to tilt the motor fore and aft. Cube Dweller brought along a come-a-long, and with that attached to a sling on the rear and a chan attached to the hook on the front, it was pretty straight forward to tilt the rear down, jack it up, and then pull it out.

The cross member of the 71 is much closer to the transfer case. Pulling the case alone would be a major chore in the 71, but was not to bad in the 76 frame.

It is much better to have 2 people. I would not want to do this alone.

IMG_5226.jpg

IMG_5235.jpg

CRW_5238.jpg

IMG_5241.jpg

IMG_5243.jpg

IMG_5244.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom