71’ Carburetor FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cheers All! I am the proud new owner of an all original 64k mile iron pig! I’ve been trying research here on mud a few things- but I want to throw a few questions out.

1. Tail light and door handle rubber seals- any resource suggestions?
2. Age old question- carb kit? Or swap? Or even dare I say, FI?
The wagon runs pretty strong, especially for sitting for sooooo long. Stalls at idle but I now understand I need to go through all the suggestions you all have previously provided- vacuum leaks, solenoid etc... but I still would like to give some love toward the Carb. So- rebuild? Kit and do it myself from Pinhead vids, or Weber et al?? Car will be just driven around our mtn town and not heavy on the trails. Look forward to the suggestions and more pics to come.

1BE559AA-7322-4765-A833-4FB45427BC68.jpeg

DF1998ED-27F6-4976-98F4-8DAAF2880A8A.jpeg

Nice pig! I had similar carburetor problems over the Summer. My solution was to buy a new carburetor from City Racer and it solved all my issues. Swaps right in with no modifications and I was back on the road in about an hour. Keep your original carb for a future rebuild and good luck!

WOW! Very nice. MaCall, Id. we were just through your town with @ seven pigs on the annual Pig Party. Sorry we missed you. You have a beautiful wagon, if you want to join the crazy group of 55 owners follow this link to the pig forum...

Thanks! It’s a bit of a barn find but as been taken care of and kept out of the elements for years. I plan to keep all her parts but I am open options on the carb cleaning or replacement. Mark in LA isn’t taking any more carb exchanges...

If you get tired of reading the abundance of post from guys who love factory carburetors, but have had to rebuilt them time after time, then you can consider some other options, see the following:
Ebay #264608654634, FiTech or Holley Sniper installation kit.
Ebay #254371192083, GM TBI fuel injection conversion.
Ebay #264808304851, Holley 350 conversion (plus read copy on Ebay #254412375238 if you go this route).

If you get tired of reading the abundance of post from guys who love factory carburetors, but have had to rebuilt them time after time, then you can consider some other options, see the following:
Ebay #264808304851, Holley 350 conversion (plus read copy on Ebay #254412375238 if you go this route).
Thanks Jim. I appreciate your offer- any suggestion in which direction to look toward based on your vast experience? We are at 5,000 ft and will be using it more for driving around town and heading to the ski hill... not a lot of trail. FI? Holly swap? FI seems obliviously a more expensive route but benefits?? I’ll try to research more as well! Appreciated!!

Mark in LA isn’t taking any more carb exchanges...

I would think he is still rebuilding/tweaking them. @65swb45

I've got carbs done by Mark over 12 years and they haven't needed re-worked. maybe it depends on who is rebuilding them??

I would think he is still rebuilding/tweaking them. @65swb45

I've got carbs done by Mark over 12 years and they haven't needed re-worked. maybe it depends on who is rebuilding them??

Mark was my first choice but he left me a vm saying he is too backed up, or something to that effect. I was tryi g him by phone... is email better?

Thanks! It’s a bit of a barn find but as been taken care of and kept out of the elements for years. I plan to keep all her parts but I am open options on the carb cleaning or replacement. Mark in LA isn’t taking any more carb exchanges...

This is not a true statement. I am still taking carburetors in for rebuilding. My message specifically said I would NOT take a deposit from you (or anyone) to rebuild one of my cores right now. I called another customer who needs a rocker arm assembly and told him the same thing. He said he would wait. And someone sent me a deposit for a cylinder head; same thing. Have an engine coming in next week for a refresh: same thing.

A good number of people on this forum have been following my postings long enough to know the difficulties I am currently working with since my mother passed. The endless grind of people who only want or need to know how much something costs and when they can get it...never mind. Send it or don’t; I don’t care. I still enjoy spending my days doing quality rebuilding of Landcruiser parts...as long as I can keep doing what I need to do to keep from being overwhelmed.

Last edited:
This is not a true statement.

Mark, I’ll try to reach out again! I would much prefer to have your quality of work and we will be in LA the week after Thanksgiving. per My last message I am also looking for a windshield and a few other items. Please let me know how I can best make this work! Glad you are on Mud Watching!

This is not a true statement. I am still taking carburetors in for rebuilding. My message specifically said I would NOT take a deposit from you (or anyone) to rebuild one of my cores right now. I called another customer who needs a rocker arm assembly and told him the same thing. He said he would wait. And someone sent me a deposit for a cylinder head; same thing. Have an engine coming in next week for a refresh: same thing.

A good number of people on this forum have been following my postings long enough to know the difficulties I am currently working with since my mother passed. The endless grind of people who only want or need to know how much something costs and when they can get it...never mind. Send it or don’t; I don’t care. I still enjoy spending my days doing quality rebuilding of Landcruiser parts...as long as I can keep doing what I need to do to keep from being overwhelmed.

my apologies Mark, your message was very difficult to understand and I thought you said you weren’t taking any orders right now. I tried to call back again but couldn’t get through. It wasn’t clear how to proceed. I understand you are the BEST And was only hoping for one of your rebuilds. No disrespect and sorry for your loss.

Thanks. :)

Packing instructions are on the FAQ of my website. Leave a voicemail at the shop when it’s on the way. When I get it torn down I will call you with an updated estimate. We can discuss your other parts needs then. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom