700R4 to transfer case adaptor question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm putting together an FJ40 that someone else started, and hoping someone can tell me to what quadrant this adaptor should be installed? And not sure what the notch is for? I can't see any reason it should be clocked any particular way, but never like to assume. Thanks for any help!

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2629.JPG

I will crawl under mine and take a few pictures in the AM. I don't know

Larry in El Paso

Your first picture with the two mounting holes and the flange with numbers I have on my passenger side.

20200420_083013.jpg

I show the adapter ---

20200420_082908.jpg

The wires go off on the driver's side.

I hope this helps. Maybe mine is messed up. Second opinions are welcome.

Larry in El Paso

In your first photo above, it looks like the square boss on the passenger's side of the adapter is drilled/bored for a vehicle speed sensor ???. On your second photo above, I don't know what the notch is for, I also had one of these with the notch, but I don't see any reason why it could not be indexed into any location you want. If you are using a reluctor ring with the VSS plunged into this adapter piece, then the mounting boss for the VSS should point towards the drivers side of vehicle, if VSS pointed upward it could hit the floorboard, it pointed to the passengers side it could hit the 4WD shifter, if pointed downward it could hit the skid plate ??? I hope this answers the indexing question.

BTW, if you have the 4WD floor shifter, but don't have the mounting bracket for it (it mounts into the bolt pattern in the side of your longer piece of adapter) I have one in my ebay store- - -just saying.

Your first picture with the two mounting holes and the flange with numbers I have on my passenger side.

View attachment 2279546

I show the adapter ---

View attachment 2279547

The wires go off on the driver's side.

I hope this helps. Maybe mine is messed up. Second opinions are welcome.

Larry in El Paso

Thanks Larry, it looks like your lugs are top / bottom. I don't see any wrong way to clock this thing but I'll do the same as yours.

In your first photo above, it looks like the square boss on the passenger's side of the adapter is drilled/bored for a vehicle speed sensor ???. On your second photo above, I don't know what the notch is for, I also had one of these with the notch, but I don't see any reason why it could not be indexed into any location you want. If you are using a reluctor ring with the VSS plunged into this adapter piece, then the mounting boss for the VSS should point towards the drivers side of vehicle, if VSS pointed upward it could hit the floorboard, it pointed to the passengers side it could hit the 4WD shifter, if pointed downward it could hit the skid plate ??? I hope this answers the indexing question.

Thanks for the reply Downey. If you were asking if the spacer with the lugs was drilled, no it's isn't. The only threaded parts are the adaptor like Larry's pic above. Would I need a reluctor ring / vss if I'm using aftermarket speedo?

Just talked to Advance Adaptors and they confirmed the lugs and notch are simply machining holds and the spacer can be clocked in any position.

You'd need a 40 tooth reluctor ring (gear) and VSS only if you are using a newer LS/Vortec that requires a 40 pulse VSS signal to the ECU. If your's is an older carbureted engine you do not need a VSS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom