700r4 length questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to install a lt1 with a 700r4/4l60e behind it to the stock t case in my 74. I know I can move the LT1 forward a bit so that helps. I would also like to not do a SOA swap. I have a 2.5" procomp lift with 1" lift shackles. Is this possible with a Tom Woods driveshaft? Without vibrations? I know it will be short but if it can be done without a SOA swap that would be awesome. I've looked at a lot of threads but it seems everyone does a SOA setup.

If you have a 700r4 swap without a SOA I would love a DS measurement too.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Tim

When the Downey 700R4/4L60E adapter was available it was only 1" thick/long. With it off the market, the only adapter available is the Advance Adapters, and it is about 7" thick/long. Every once in awhile one of the 1" Downey adapters pops up here on ebay in the classifieds, but don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. Perhaps post a request in the Mud classifieds under the "Wanted" category, and still don't hold your breath.

I should have given you a tad bit more info above to help you get this resolved. The 700R4 and 4L60E trannies are 23.375" long. The AA adapter is 6.75" long. You could fudge the engine forward possibly 2" more than my Downey instruction sheet calls for, but then you wouldn't be able to reposition the radiator rearward and downward (which is typical to get the GM engine fan centered on the radiator, and to keep the fan from hitting the lower radiator hose.

I bought a fj40 with a 700r4 AA adapter and no lift. It used the stock driveshaft that had been shortened. It was so short their was no tube, just the slip joint and the ujoints on each end. Driveshaft was probably around 12" long. It was really weird seeing such a short driveshaft. I suppose it would have worked OK. It looked like their was room to move the motor forward a bit. I sold the rig and not sure where the pics are.

I posted at 700r4 information . Mine is 12 inches. Springs are under the axles. The post has a picture as well. Any questions, just ask and I will try to answer.

Larry in El Paso

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom