700R tranny - notch the pan or smaller AA yokes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

buckroseau

May I have another!!!
SILVER Star
Threads
I used the search function.....looked in the tech. section........I can't find what I'm looking for.

I remember a while back looking at several pics of a 700R4 tranny install where they notched the pan. That is what I am trying to find and a little more info on how it's done or anything I should be looking for? I assume there are some guts of the valve assembly that are in there?

Or, should I just spend the $$$ and buy AA's smaller yoke set up and have that welded on when I have the driveshaft lengthened?

Anyone?

Thanks, Matt

I had to BARELY notch the pan to run a GM CV. The Toy CV was just to big. If I could have run just a single u-joint, the Toyota one would have worked fine with the notch job. I heated the pan while it was bolted to a tranny with the valve body attached, and took a 1.25" socket and messaged the pan until it barely cleared the valve body. I had about .250 clearance and the shaft never touched the pan.
Gary

I "cleaned" the entire PS edge of the pan on mine, flush with the cast alum of the tranny itself, and then ground the #%#$^ out of the area where my 1310 yoke on the D300 was contacting....no leaks, and it's not a critical strength spot.

IIRC, doesn't Downey have a Supra joint/setup specifically for this clearance issue??

Thanks for the info guys. :) If any of you guys have pics, would love to see them. I'm not against a little massaging if required, just want it to look ok also.

Woody, found that yoke set up on Downey's site:

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/EngineComponents/index.htm

No price, so I will give them a call tomorrow. I know AA wants $185 for the same set up.

I'll spend the money on that, but I thought I had heard of the stock Toyota yoke work with a little 700R pan tweaking :)

One other thing, this is a 79 toyota T case with 79 axles, not sure if those flanges were larger?

Thanks, Matt

ya might also call Jesse at High Angle and see what he comes up with....

You can always get it all mocked up and see what happens...I had a 1350 yoke originally, woulda had to take a good inch off the tranny case to make that work....pretty sure Jesse was thrilled to make a rush-job 1310-version intermediate shaft for my rig on short notice....lol

hit hardcore and see my D300 project....oodles of pics in there....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom