$70 switch $40 lights ? (1 Viewer)

I have used the search to no avail; I am looking for info on alternative switches for a rear backup light and compressor. Even though I love the OE look of the Toyota switches it pains me to spend more on the switches than the lights. If any body has the thread links, or a lead on info to a good alternative switch.

For the compressor, I'm using a rear window heater switch from an 80's vintage Toyota found at a pick-and-pull boneyard. I mounted it in place of one of the coin holders. The switch is backlit and all I had to do was buy a green condom from C-Dan. It fits over the white bulb and now the switch is OEM green.

For lights, there is a Camry fog light switch that is about $10 and Dan can also get you those switches. I'll look for the p/n and pics.

-B-

Last edited:

thanks for the pics. for the compressor what size relay do you use (if any)?

I use a relay but what size that I use isn't relevant. You need to size the relay you install based on the peak amperage your compressor draws.

As of today, I have a 30 amp relay because my current OBA set up uses dual Caddy compressors. I am not happy with the set up and have bought a big ExtremeAire compressor. I believe it draws 50 amps and puts out 4cfm. It was a bit spendy and it's big.

-B-

Brooklyn,

Would be good to know the year of your rig - different dashboards.

DougM

Beowulf,

How did you connect the wires to this switch? It has 3 prongs and I have 3 wires(red, white & black) and have no clue which goes where?:confused: TIA
NVR ENUF,

I do not remember the details as the post you resurrected is over a year old and I installed those lights about 3 years ago.

As I recall (and don't hold me to this...) I chose to switch -12v to the driving lights so one leg in would be -12v, which is switched giving -12v out when the switch is on. The 3rd prong gets +12v for the LED which then illuminates when the switch is on.

Let's see if I can do an ASCII drawing.... (Nope... system suppresses multiple spaces.)

-B-

Grench

SILVER Star

Guys... Don't get me wrong, I'm all for spending money on 80s and stuff. Why the big hangup on -Toyota- for switches for cheap after market lights?

www.westmarine.com
www.defender.com

I'm sure there are lots of other sources for cole-hearsee switches. These are just the two that come to mind. Every type of switch that you're likely to need. $10 and up.

Why the big hangup on -Toyota- for switches for cheap after market lights?
I prefer the "stealth" look and try to install everything like Mr T would have done it or like he has done it (driving lamp switch) in other vehicles. That switch is ~$12. Someday I will swap it out for a genuine 80-Series fog switch (~$80.)

-B-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom