70 series Landcruiser Troopy expedition build - Frame off. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I decided to redo the turbo outlet pipe with a tighter 90 deg to keep it further away from the firewall. Being conservative because I don’t know exactly where the firewall is. I did the last section of the exhaust and will not weld the complete exhaust until I have the body in place in case there is interference. Been using masking tape as an efficient way to locate the pipes.

B5DEDF7D-3343-43C9-AA10-DA64C32A6445.jpeg
8F518C8A-5333-479A-B3C7-1EEA5EF0FAF7.jpeg
6B09C698-1B0C-4625-9425-DDE217C5B392.jpeg
2311A9A8-D8B5-40B4-96ED-EBEF4A15921E.jpeg
6893C5D1-B166-4A00-A986-EA4CC8AE2527.jpeg

Have been working on the intercooler. It's tight in the front so got a stock intercooler and modify it to fit. May have to cut the upper bay to fit the hood latch. I'm missing the cross part that supports it (at the paint shop) so I'm just guessing now. I got the 90 degree 3" to 2.5" aluminum welded to the intercooler after cutting some of the 3" on both ends to fit the width of the bib. Also had to cut the bottom 8mm bosses and they will be rewelded closer to the bottom front of the intercooler instead of in the middle.

IMG_9462.jpg
IMG_9496.jpg
IMG_9497.jpg

Last edited:
Just got the exhaust from the welding shop. Total cost was about $650 including the TIG welding ($350). For once I'm pleased with the results and almost tempted to hang it in the living room as art. Not sure my wife will approve. Waiting for the steel brackets to get powder coated (BK208) so I can actually install the exhaust system. It has 3 V bands 3". At this rate I'll also do the 2.5" intercooler piping and the 4" stainless snorkel similar to the AUZ Radius. They will cost a fraction of the price and will be custom made.

Since the doors (all 4) were rusted, I bought 2 new OEM rear doors from Partsouq and from Dave (Japan4x4) the 4 pieces for the rear inner fenders. I think we found the front doors (one in Canada and one in Austin). It's a hunt.

Parts and source...
-- HJ75 from Nicaragua
-- 1HDT engine came from JDM
-- H151 transmission came from England
-- rear doors from UAE
-- Driver door from Austin
-- Passenger door from Canada
-- front axle (coil suspension) from 79 mine truck
-- rear FF axle from Valley Hybrids and mine truck parts
-- front coil parts/frame brackets from Japan4x4
-- rear fenders from Japan4x4
-- low/high shifter from Venezuela
-- adjustable steering column from Joe Katana
-- seats from a BMW M3
-- complete wire harness from Joe Katana
-- instrument cluster from Indonesia
-- fender flares from Australia
-- AC and all the heater assembly/ducks from Joe Katana
-- Cruise control 80 series (servo, computer, etc) from Toy connection
-- speed sensor (both mechanical and electrical) from Jason @TRAIL TAILOR
-- most parts fabricated and sourced from Amazon, etc.

There may be more that I forgot... ;)

IMG_9500.jpg

Just got the folding table that attaches to the rear door from GP Factor. I did not remove the protection off the stainless. I can not say enough good things about the product. It's more than what I expected. Also I attached a stainless mesh under the vents in front of the windshield. The car does not have a cabin filter, so I figured to have some protection.

IMG_9565.JPG
IMG_9566.JPG
IMG_9567.JPG
IMG_9568.JPG

Last edited:
Great idea on the mesh. Is that just taped on with foil-tape? I have maple trees and have to take mine off every now and then and clean out the 'helicopter' seed pods that fill up in there.

Great idea on the mesh. Is that just taped on with foil-tape? I have maple trees and have to take mine off every now and then and clean out the 'helicopter' seed pods that fill up in there.
It’s glued with aluminum epoxy. I hold the in place with magnets until the epoxy sets.

Just got the folding table that attaches to the rear door from GP Factor. I did not remove the protection off the stainless. I can not say enough good things about the product. It's more than what I expected. Also I attached a stainless mesh under the vents in front of the windshield. The car does not have a cabin filter, so I figured to have some protection.

View attachment 3202048View attachment 3202049
nice fold down table

Been working fitting the 3 radiators in place. HVAC. The engine rad is from a 78/79 so a bit different and bigger so had to modify the bracket. Have an OEM but have on order a Terrain Tamer with @orangefj45. The AC condenser came with a kit that I got from my friend @joekatana and will need a bracket. Fitting the intercooler will require a custom grill by Kelly.

So now brackets…

8FCB43A7-CF84-4147-98C5-EEA605EFFD3E.jpeg
2D9AA30F-994B-4518-9EA5-14D7ABCEEEA5.jpeg
3BBA1305-7ACA-4ABD-8B4A-A96F445B60C1.jpeg
FEA7995E-98F4-489C-AD84-C6C2FCCD7A66.jpeg

You’re making fantastic progress. Looking forward to your visit next week!

Just got the Terrain Tamer radiator. The radiator mounts will me modified to mount on the narrow nose 70.

Also @orangefj45 and I were trying to figure out the 6 lugs conversion. ALL worked out on the rear axle except the flange of the rear axle shaft is 104mm in diameter, and the hole in the center the wheel is 101mm. It can all be assembled but the wheel will not mount on. It can all be machined, but at that point there are too many custom parts and I hate getting stuck somewhere and looking for a machine shop on top of a Toyota dealer... Decision to stay with 5 lugs.

I'm headed north this weekend to do solo snow camping in ID, MT and WA. 3 red flares, means I need support. Be back in 2 weeks so by then I hope the axles will be ready.

I decided to go with BP51 shocks.

IMG_9619.JPG

Just got the hydronic diesel heater system bits. Some assembly required. I still need the water to air + fan heat exchange. It will be a separate 3 gallons glycol system insulated, 3 gallons will give it enough mass so the heater run cycles will be longer. I need to figure our the best layout for a tray with a cover under the body behind the fuel tank. The breather will run high probably into the cab for water crossings. I did not include the photo of the whole kit (wires, brackets, etc.)

IMG_9702.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom