70 series Landcruiser Troopy expedition build - Frame off. (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How do you get hot water with the Wallas? I thought it was a cooktop with a steel top cover to use as a heater.
My bad. I misread. YES! You are absolutely right. We bought the Espar basic kit that has the heater, pump and controller. This is and example with installation kit ($1300). All the rest we bought online and I can direct you to it. Comes out much cheaper.

My bad. I misread. YES! You are absolutely right. We bought the Espar basic kit that has the heater, pump and controller. This is and example with installation kit ($1300). All the rest we bought online and I can direct you to it. Comes out much cheaper.

Indeed much cheaper so you ended up buying the S3? I am eager to learn the rest of the components you purchase yes!

Will you install it in the engine bay or in the cabin?

Indeed much cheaper so you ended up buying the S3? I am eager to learn the rest of the components you purchase yes!

Will you install it in the engine bay or in the cabin?
I'll install it attached to the inside of the frame driver side behind the cross member behind the tank. Have a steel plate to protect it.

Good choice! May I ask where you purchased the heat exchanger? Did you get the CS controller too of the kit
I’ll try to compile the complete list of parts and post it. Driving now to Arizona so I’ll try to do it in the next few days.

No worries! Enjoy the ride!
I purchased this unit with the installation kit and the Easy Start Pro controller. They wanted the controller so they can program it with timer. I think the regular one works as well. The heat exchange for the hot water was off eBay or Amazon. You need all the brass fittings and we used soft 3/8" copper piping and pressure fittings. The water to air heat exchange we bought from heatso but you can probably save some $ on Amazon.

All flex tubes were silicon.

I purchased this unit with the installation kit and the Easy Start Pro controller. They wanted the controller so they can program it with timer. I think the regular one works as well. The heat exchange for the hot water was off eBay or Amazon. You need all the brass fittings and we used soft 3/8" copper piping and pressure fittings. The water to air heat exchange we bought from heatso but you can probably save some $ on Amazon.

All flex tubes were silicon.

Thanks for the detailed description mate appreciated it! I will start getting the 3/8 fitting and see if my budget allow me to get this with the cooking top!

Did you arrive in Arizona :)

Thanks for the detailed description mate appreciated it! I will start getting the 3/8 fitting and see if my budget allow me to get this with the cooking top!

Did you arrive in Arizona :)
Got in a 7 PM.

In the sprinter, we actually used this because it does not have a bulky fan in the back. You can buy a cheap small heat exchange radiator and add a 12V computer fan in the back to save $$. If you hook it through a variable DC/DC converter you can have analog speed control on the fan. You have to replace the trim pot with a 10K pot with a knob on the dash or electrical panel.

Got in a 7 PM.

In the sprinter, we actually used this because it does not have a bulky fan in the back. You can buy a cheap small heat exchange radiator and add a 12V computer fan in the back to save $$. If you hook it through a variable DC/DC converter you can have analog speed control on the fan. You have to replace the trim pot with a 10K pot with a knob on the dash or electrical panel.
I ordered the Espar Hydronic S3 D5E Water Heater D5-H3-CS, with an install kit from a shop in Quebec for 1300$ will get the rest later for heatso!

Kalori Compact EVO1 E Heater 4.3kw 12v with grill

Webasto Diesel Cooker X100 (With Installation kit)

I want to make a platform on the frame near the hand brake bracket before the cabin comes back from paint! Thank you for all the help!

I ordered the Espar Hydronic S3 D5E Water Heater D5-H3-CS, with an install kit from a shop in Quebec for 1300$ will get the rest later for heatso!

Kalori Compact EVO1 E Heater 4.3kw 12v with grill

Webasto Diesel Cooker X100 (With Installation kit)

I want to make a platform on the frame near the hand brake bracket before the cabin comes back from paint! Thank you for all the help!
LMK how the Webasto cooktop works. Also I'm curious about your real estate layout. The Kalori is deep because it uses a 'steamboat" fan. People put it in the cabinet, but since real estate is so expensive, my thought was putting it in the wheel well and have 2 round hot air registers come out between the window and the cushion back rest, so you can connect and run a duct from one of them to the tent with a flex pipe at night in cold weather. I wonder if something like this would be enough to heat the cab.

Last edited:
LMK how the Webasto cooktop works. Also I'm curious about your real estate layout. The Kalori is deep because it uses a 'steamboat" fan. People put it in the cabinet, but since real estate is so expensive, my thought was putting it in the wheel well and have 2 round hot air registers come out between the window and the cushion back rest, so you can connect and run a duct from one of them to the tent with a flex pipe at night in cold weather. I wonder if something like this would be enough to heat the cab.

I will let you know for sure about the cooktop as per the layout for now nothing formal first thing first need to finish the cabin and put everything back together! There are 2 options with the Kalori one is a big grill and the other one are 60mm outlet (this one could probably offer the solution of flex pipe) Hot air naturally goes up so I am not too worried about the heat in the Hercules and that being said I plan on making this for the side of the tent with our -30 sleeping bags Northern light hunting will be Paradis

I will let you know for sure about the cooktop as per the layout for now nothing formal first thing first need to finish the cabin and put everything back together! There are 2 options with the Kalori one is a big grill and the other one are 60mm outlet (this one could probably offer the solution of flex pipe) Hot air naturally goes up so I am not too worried about the heat in the Hercules and that being said I plan on making this for the side of the tent with our -30 sleeping bags Northern light hunting will be Paradis
I’m back home. Forgot to mention that you will need a 2-3 gallon tank for the hydraulic liquid and attach to it an expansion valve. These are just example. 😀

Welcome back 😝

This is additional to the glycol tank?
No. This IS the tank. Some use the cooling system of the engine. I have a friend in Paris @thelandcruiser80 who installed it in an 80 using the engine cooling and said it did not work perfectly.

Last edited:
No. This IS the tank. Some use the cooling system of the engine. I have a friend in Paris @thelandcruiser80 who installed it in an 80 using the engine cooling and said it did not work perfectly.

I started to install the S3 D5E today! I need to know order some Flex Fab hose 5026 and the Heat exchanger too found this one is 20 layers enough?

Using a separate tank is fine I think my only concern is should we use normal Toyota coolant or glycol… I am always thinking about the supply let’s say in Africa of Glycol 🫤

I started to install the S3 D5E today! I need to know order some Flex Fab hose 5026 and the Heat exchanger too found this one is 20 layers enough?

Using a separate tank is fine I think my only concern is should we use normal Toyota coolant or glycol… I am always thinking about the supply let’s say in Africa of Glycol 🫤
Your links are broken, but the silicon looks great. How many BTU is this heat exchange?

I have talked to my friend in Paris, and he said that currently he is happy with the setup using the engine circuit. I am getting more details on the installation, so you may not need a separate tank/circuit. I'll post his photos once I get them. He mentioned that in really cold weather the water does not get to high temperature.

My concern with the engine circuit is that you have to heat up the mass of the engine which is a longer startup time but also once it heats up, the thermostat opens and then it flows through the radiator, so you are loosing all this heat. I think this is how it works, unless I'm missing something.

Your links are broken, but the silicon looks great. How many BTU is this heat exchange?

I have talked to my friend in Paris, and he said that currently he is happy with the setup using the engine circuit. I am getting more details on the installation, so you may not need a separate tank/circuit. I'll post his photos once I get them. He mentioned that in really cold weather the water does not get to high temperature.

My concern with the engine circuit is that you have to heat up the mass of the engine which is a longer startup time but also once it heats up, the thermostat opens and then it flows through the radiator, so you are loosing all this heat. I think this is how it works, unless I'm missing something.

Is this Heat Exchanger link working?
  • 【Product Parameter】130,000 - 180,000 BTU CAPACITY: Depending on the application, this product can produce 130kBtu to 180kBtu per hour. 20 PLATES; 3"x8", 3/4" MPT: 20 brazed plates work to efficiently heat water for your application.
If you have problems understanding french I can help you :p

The idea of running a separate tank is good because as you mention you don't have to wait for the radiator flow etc but could we run the separate tank with normal Toyota coolant?

Is this Heat Exchanger link working?
  • 【Product Parameter】130,000 - 180,000 BTU CAPACITY: Depending on the application, this product can produce 130kBtu to 180kBtu per hour. 20 PLATES; 3"x8", 3/4" MPT: 20 brazed plates work to efficiently heat water for your application.
If you have problems understanding french I can help you :p

The idea of running a separate tank is good because as you mention you don't have to wait for the radiator flow etc but could we run the separate tank with normal Toyota coolant?
You can use any coolant. We used soft copper pipes insulated and compression fittings with Teflon wrapped around the balls. Most people use Pex but I found it too bulky and every turn you have to cut and put a joint.

Here is the blog on the sprinter build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom