70 series Landcruiser Troopy expedition build - Frame off. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I always wanted to build a troopy. They are hard to find in the US. I've built a 1978, 1971, 1979 40 series, an 80 series and now the troopy. We also have a 60 series. Except one 40 series, they are all diesel.

I've purchased this HJ75 two months ago, and it cam from Nicaragua 4 years ago. The vehicle has not been serviced well and needed serious work. The 2H diesel engine needs a rebuild, it has no breaks and the steering has a dead band of about 90 degrees. The body has serious rust and the interior is ripped and neglected. The electrical wiring was a night mare. Seemed like a perfect project.

6293A68A-934F-451F-A398-BEDABEA0CF55.JPG

IMG_6621.JPG

After further inspection, I decided to do a frame off and replace the engine. Found a JDM 1HDT and it will mate with a H151. Motor mounts were ordered from Japan and welded on the frame after stripping the complete vehicle.

IMG_6907.JPG
IMG_6908.JPG
IMG_6981.JPG
IMG_7076.JPG

Also, found some BMW sport seats, and will replace the skins with new leather and seat warmers. Spent a few hours building the brackets for them.

IMG_7092.JPG
IMG_7095.JPG

for comparison the old seats...

IMG_6831.JPG

The body and sheet metal panels are going to a body shop for stripping and paint. Meanwhile I'm planning to work on the frame. Replace front suspension with coil springs. I have access to a 79 frame, so let's see how it goes. Also, I purchased a AluCab Hercules and installing 4x4Lab bumpers with swing arm and winch.

Stay tuned...

Some engine work this weekend. Bottom End Bearings were replaced. Oil pan is going to the paint shop for BK208 black powder coating. The bearings were not seriously worn. Good news I guess. It is so easy when the engine is up side down. You only hope not to drop something in and forget about it....

This week I am suppose to get the H151 rebuilt transmission and transfer case. Drivetrain is going back in to 'fix' the body hump so the shifters are exposed. Once this is done the body will go to the body/paint shop and I can work on the frame. Plan is to replace the front end with a 79 series coil spring suspension. The rear axle will be replaced also but I am debating between an 80 series or the 79 full loading and keep the 5 studs on the axles.

IMG_7173.JPG
IMG_7174.JPG

Last edited:
Picked up today a refreshed H151 from @orangefj45 after a spa and massage. Thanks Georg!!! I won the lottery having friends like this! Borrowed a TC as a mockup to install on the frame. Meanwhile Valley Hybrids are rebuilding mine with an OD and part time. This weekend we shall see how it fits under the body. Probably some metal work on the cross member. They do fit in the back of an old Prius....

IMG_7180.JPG

Todays progress was figuring out the drivetrain fit in the frame and body. I marked on the hump how much metal to remove. TC could not fit because the fuel tank is in the way. It will have to move back a few inches. Also found that the cross bar needs to be cut and moved back. Probably hang the fuel tank off the frame instead of hanging from to he body.

The cross member that supports the transmission also needs to move back with the flange that is welded to the frame. That’s going to be fun. 😀

Injectors and IP are headed to the shop for service.

The body is ready to go to the paint shop. Can’t wait to see how it comes back.

E7C48829-0590-45F3-B23F-420072E8223F.jpeg
92619B1D-DC8E-4EEA-882B-7B22F94EA7C6.jpeg
EC67EEAE-A430-43B0-A5F4-BC3409DE0F32.jpeg

ACD005B8-D43C-423E-A9AB-59C6D13E879B.jpeg
AAC97965-2633-49A2-9F0C-0BE6D7E0EF2F.jpeg

Came today from Grass Valley. Picked up front and rear 4x4Labs bumper kits. Some assembly required. If any know of good rock sliders for the troopy, I'm all ears.

IMG_7217.JPG

I managed to remove the rear bumper. Who in the right mind would WELD the bumper to the frame. To remove welded parts from the frame I cut it off about 1” away from the weld, then score it with a cutting wheel 1/8” from the weld and pry it off bending back and forth. After that I used a sanding disk to remove the access material so the frame of flush.

I was hoping to save the rear bumper so someone else can use it, but had to butcher it not to damage the frame.

DC324933-8AEF-479D-BCC8-9614730F8EEC.jpeg

Wow, very cool, and impressive progress.
I'm in Sunnyvale, if you ever need an extra hand, I'd love to see it in person.

Came today from Grass Valley. Picked up front and rear 4x4Labs bumper kits. Some assembly required. If any know of good rock sliders for the troopy, I'm all ears.

View attachment 2925993
Curious to see how the bumper looks on the troopy! I've been searching for winch compatible options and there isn't a whole lot readily available in the US.

Check out the high roof troopy at valley hybrids next time you are down. It has 4x4 labs sliders. I believe they were for an 80 series but modified to fit.

I got this photos from4x4labs. It's not a troopy, and I may have to grind a bit to fit. Price was right.... I'll post when it finished. May be a while. Body is off the frame in two weekends.

IMG_3835.jpg
IMG_3836.jpg
IMG_3847.jpg
IMG_3848.jpg

I've been getting boxes from UAE. Was in Death Valley this weekend with the 80. Came back and Christmas came very early (or a little late). Body mounts, dash parts, door panels and more.

IMG_7409.JPG

Got today from Indonesia(!!) a more modern instrument cluster with a tach. Was worried about the connection in the back but it uses the same plugs as the original. I'll just have to populate the extra pins. If anyone have the EWD of this newer model, will save me a couple of hours with a multimeter. The new cluster has also the diff lock and a few LEDs for 'turbo', engine paint, etc. I'll be rewiring them for 'water in the filter', 'pre-heat' and maybe one spare.

IMG_7417.JPG
IMG_7418.JPG

Got today from Indonesia(!!) a more modern instrument cluster with a tach. Was worried about the connection in the back but it uses the same plugs as the original. I'll just have to populate the extra pins. If anyone have the EWD of this newer model, will save me a couple of hours with a multimeter. The new cluster has also the diff lock and a few LEDs for 'turbo', engine paint, etc. I'll be rewiring them for 'water in the filter', 'pre-heat' and maybe one spare.

View attachment 2940461View attachment 2940462
Wow, very nice.

Great project, looks awesome!

Started to build the rear bumper. The body is coming off next week and I wanted to finish the side plates spacing with the body. Did not accomplish my goals this weekend.
E83A52CB-9945-46B4-8A65-504D8543430F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom