70 series Landcruiser Troopy expedition build - Frame off. (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stop in Redding and met Jason at Trail Tailor to pick up some combo speed sensor. They provide both mechanical and electrical outputs. The reason is that the speedo in the troopy is mechanical but I plan to use the 80 series cruise control system that will require the electrical output.

I also stopped in Bend and picked up from Alex at Fitgarage a set of new windows. The one behind the passenger will be a Gullwing because we will have a cabinet all the way to the ceiling with access from inside and outside.

Also in Bend picked up high build primer that is not sold in California (and no sales tax!!!!!!!). Still $700 for a gallon kit.

DAAA6B4A-EE54-4BF5-9391-2D66906B6FF1.jpeg
79BED31B-F30B-4E3D-9E89-62BC71A7EB27.jpeg
404F6FC9-FCAE-401E-BEE0-394401014F2C.jpeg

Spent the morning with my guru mentor Georg @orangefj45 and picked up the transfer case he rebuilt. Part time and overdrive and about 300 bearings and gears that were replaced 😂. He does have a magic wand and just waves it around and the parts come back new.

This weekend I’m putting the drivetrain all together and moving the tube crossmember back to accommodate for the longer drivetrain.

D547F5D8-5753-4425-A37A-B27AE2AB649F.jpeg

Great to see you Ofer!

Garrett and I need to come visit you guys to check out the build.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Great to see you Ofer!

Garrett and I need to come visit you guys to check out the build.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Hawaiian Pizza on the menu!

Finally got all the parts for the 300 mm clutch. So, the drivetrain is all done. All I need is a car to put it into.

The fuel tank was attached to the body, but has to move back a few inches. I am probably build support points on the frame and attach to it instead. Found out the the tank was all rusted and brazed over cuts as if the rig went over a land mine (seen that in my early days). Also the baffles are all loose and rattling inside. Time for a new tank which is a challenge to find. Once done with the tank, moving to the axles/suspension.

IMG_7861.JPG

IMG_7864.jpg
IMG_7866.JPG
IMG_7867 2.JPG
IMG_7873.JPG

While waiting for parts, I figured start plumbing the intercooler. I bought the 1HDT intake adopter on eBay for $120 from AUZ. The 2.5” stainless piping also on eBay for $130. I’ll finish the top part and wait for the body parts to figure out size of radiator and final bottom routing. The pipes would be continuous single piece on each side. I use professional painters masking take to connect all the pieces. Then unmask a small section and tack weld it. I’ll clean up the welds to a smooth finish and then fine glass bead blast to an aluminum look finish.

Next would be the 3” exhaust while waiting for the 79 rolling chassis and the fuel tank that I ordered new.

819FDCBD-1230-4BCC-AAF8-E28A6CC36C12.jpeg
1172A99A-C9B3-46F6-832E-F2BFA3A64D1E.jpeg
2BF37FEB-E090-4D37-A019-614FA297DC70.jpeg

Love watching this build. The intercooler setup you recommended has been on my mind a lot lately… I think I might be needing a new clutch sometime soon as well. It never ends but it’s endlessly fun!

Love watching this build. The intercooler setup you recommended has been on my mind a lot lately… I think I might be needing a new clutch sometime soon as well. It never ends but it’s endlessly fun!
Bryce, we just finished an intercooler on a 60 last week. All eBay/Amazon parts. Check it out. @gigsky_fj62. Replaced a messy water to air intercooler that ran much hotter.

if you have the 270mm clutch, I recommend changing Flywheel, clutch and pressure plate to 300mm. Hope to meet you one day in person.:)

if you have the 270mm clutch, I recommend changing Flywheel, clutch and pressure plate to 300mm. Hope to meet you one day in person.:)

Have no no idea what size is in there now. It feels mainly like the bearing on the release fork is beginning to fail. Either way, I’d love to get in there and replace everything new for the piece of mind.

We are planning a trip up north something around the 15th or next month. I’d love to swing by the shop and meet!

Nice, to see this troopy getting some love. I was trying to buy it from the previous owner and it's one that got away.

Still waiting for the rolling frame. The source guy for the frame is in a nasty divorce. Meanwhile, I did some finishing touches on Kermit. It belongs to my daughter and she did a frame off 16 years ago when she was in high school. We did and engine swap last year to a 1HDT/H55 intercooler. Kermit is moving to Flagstaff to live with his mom.

BC09713F-FAAB-4137-BDD4-2B84B1160EC8.jpeg
B78DD261-95EA-43BC-A85D-3BC97C43842A.jpeg
1AB1E02C-4CFD-48AB-84FE-F1F8BA3D7142.jpeg
6DCFE0B9-D080-4E4B-AAF2-8DD0D71A1C8A.jpeg
560BADCB-94DF-44B8-B6FF-C401C51A73EA.jpeg

Finally fuel tank arrived from cruiserparts. Have to admit I was skeptical getting this, but they sure delivered and I am thankful. I need a few more fittings, but will start working on the fuel system while waiting for the "rolling frame of the 79". The 78/79 tank is a bit shorter (front to back) then the 75 but does not have the slot for the exhaust on the driver side, so my guess they are the same capacity. I rotated the round tube crossmember backwards to allow space for the TC, and did not have to move the cross member behind the fuel tank. I'll use these both the connect the tank support straps.

IMG_8290.JPG
IMG_8292.JPG
IMG_8293.JPG
IMG_8295.JPG

Got a few parts from the paint shop. They were bead blasted and powder coated in the oven BK208 black and RAL7011 gray. Most of the gray parts are under the dash and some were never painted. Probably install an 80 series clutch that has the spring assist. It works similar to a booster.

IMG_8209.JPG
IMG_8299.JPG

Was concerned about the rear driveshaft hitting the bottom of the tank at full axle deflection so decided to move the cross member 3" back. Did not take long and for now it is just tack welded.

Also the 3 resistors that control the 3 speeds of the fan/blower were broken and rusted. I decided to buy a 5A DC/DC on Amazon for $3 and modify it so it works with an external 10K pot with a switch. It provides variable speed control and a solid state device. The OEM connector with the resistors is nearly $100 and burns every 10 years. The 4 pins on the connector are exactly the number needed for this application.

IMG_8341.JPG
IMG_8343.JPG
IMG_8345.JPG
IMG_8318.JPG
IMG_8319.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome build. I’m a Bay Area local and have seen you guys in your 80 on 280 a few times. Howdy!

Awesome build. I’m a Bay Area local and have seen you guys in your 80 on 280 a few times. Howdy!
Thanks. Just finished tacking the supports for the fuel tank. I’m at dilemma which way to go with the axles. The 79 rolling chassis did not arrive so I may just go with 80 series axles that are 2.5” wider on each side. With fender flares and 10.5” tires it may work.
19592BC5-A428-4716-94B6-FB323B5E471F.jpeg

Just got today the 79 rolling frame. Front coil suspension and FF rear axle. I also have an option to install 80 series axles with custom front coil. They are 2.5” wider on each side but I have fender flares and not planning tire bigger then 10.5” wide. I AM TORN!!! Any input would be appreciated.

73BF33BF-110D-4623-86F3-6AE5482AAABA.jpeg
55EB0EBD-5D61-49E9-9384-A6B1669536FF.jpeg

On the axel, if you can go a little wider it helps track correction for the rear one! That's what I did for my HZJ78

Got some action going this weekend. Removed most of the clay off the frame and got the frame a bit lighter...

Axles are going to @orangefj45 for complete rebuild. Meanwhile I'll be working on modifying the front end of the 75 frame for coils suspension. All welded parts on the frame are new OEM.

IMG_8404.JPG
IMG_8426.JPG
IMG_8451.JPG
IMG_8456.JPG
IMG_8457.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom