70 series snorkel on a 42. (Passenger side, Can spec) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bcsteel

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone adapted this style of snorkel? I could build one but have a good line on a cheap one...this is an oem style from a 70.

No.

Pics?

Assuming you have enough engine compartment space, you could use a PS snorkel. But, you’ll have a LARGE hose running around, under your hood.

I bought this ChiCom DS version in Oct 2015 and while the shame has long worn off, I haven’t found a thing wrong with it.

Amazon product ASIN B00F926U80

6043F9AA-46B9-4FCB-8624-8D52B41C6DFC.jpeg
112AE389-B693-42B6-94F1-A39BC5452B99.jpeg
3E42150E-6196-4B37-B42C-0C8F774A114F.jpeg

I’ve forded little water in NV... but, the cooler air, pulled in via the raise ramjet has help 44 a lot... it’s not nearly as much dust.

And, helpful tip... I haven’t changed the air filter in about 2.5 years... just run knee-high stocking inside the tube and clean/change it out frequently. Much cheaper than an air filter and flat black is SEXY!!

I’m trying to avoid the hose across the engine bay thing.

Without pics, I’ve no real idea what your intentions are...

If you’re trying to avoid “hose across the bay”, why are you asking about a PS snorkel?

This is confusing an old man o_O

Ah, that single word just clarified everything for me!!

Sorry, I can’t answer your original “70s” snorkel question.

But, you can probably get s copy of their template, if you ask nice and indicate you are a potential buyer.

Good luck!!

Everything at this point is leading me to believe that building one is the better option.

No.

Pics?

Assuming you have enough engine compartment space, you could use a PS snorkel. But, you’ll have a LARGE hose running around, under your hood.

I bought this ChiCom DS version in Oct 2015 and while the shame has long worn off, I haven’t found a thing wrong with it.

Amazon product ASIN B00F926U80

View attachment 1930791View attachment 1930793View attachment 1930794

I’ve forded little water in NV... but, the cooler air, pulled in via the raise ramjet has help 44 a lot... it’s not nearly as much dust.

And, helpful tip... I haven’t changed the air filter in about 2.5 years... just run knee-high stocking inside the tube and clean/change it out frequently. Much cheaper than an air filter and flat black is SEXY!!

Few questions, did you have to drill holes in windshield frame? Apron is easy just paint two driver's side one to switch back. Could see the ramjet pressurizing the intake helping but always confused why everyone is always trying to cool the air coming into the engine. Up to a point heat is going help mix atomized petrol the air. Cast iron block double the oil of most V8s from the same time period. With a four core radiator never had a heating problem here in the desert. Can't help but think this played into why the petrol 40 series was so popular in the Middle East desert. The height of a snorkel is advantage on the dusty Southwest trails.

Haven't seen a picture 44 lately, really like what you have done with it. Maybe one of these days with get things clear out so I have room to work on my 79. Before I'm too old would like to do some exploring in the NV desert. Would love to have experience guide. :cheers:

Awl teq isn’t making them anymore...that woulda been slick.

I think there’s an old thread on here. I’ll try to dig it up

I found a few pictures ...

24520-1388774384-1f506b4c072b2aa0c3c0b6e798be58ec.jpg

24521-1388774384-f36ebff93a9a555b67e4ac5dac3fc0ad.jpg

Few questions, did you have to drill holes in windshield frame? Apron is easy just paint two driver's side one to switch back. Could see the ramjet pressurizing the intake helping but always confused why everyone is always trying to cool the air coming into the engine. Up to a point heat is going help mix atomized petrol the air. Cast iron block double the oil of most V8s from the same time period. With a four core radiator never had a heating problem here in the desert. Can't help but think this played into why the petrol 40 series was so popular in the Middle East desert. The height of a snorkel is advantage on the dusty Southwest trails.

Haven't seen a picture 44 lately, really like what you have done with it. Maybe one of these days with get things clear out so I have room to work on my 79. Before I'm too old would like to do some exploring in the NV desert. Would love to have experience guide. :cheers:

Come on then!! :steer:

No holes drilled in windshield frame.., snorkel mounts to the upper half windshield hinge

1FC076DF-7473-4E4B-870F-0373452A3715.png

You have to make sure the shape of the snorkel and ram don’t interfere with the front corner of the roof cap, as you are preparing to mount it. Otherwise, you could go to place the ram on top and find it won’t fit.

My headers run at 450* ... I have the fuel line wrapped over the manifold/headers... I was always concerned that cavitation would result in vapor lock... The snorkel pulls cool air in, from about 6.5' up.

But, truth-be-told, I’m not sure the temperature at ground level differs much from the temperature at +6’5”... Ask Mark (@65swb45)... He's 6’3” or 6’4”, but he’s still growing. There appears to be a lot of hot air around Mark sometimes.....

The real difference would be in the amount of dust, being sucked in, at ground level. Especially for those driving in a caravan.

So, since the hot air is still hot and the wet water is not very wet in NV, I have to say, my snorkel really serves two purposes...

1) it looks good on 44 and the boys and I look good driving 44 with the snorkel.

2) my savings on the cost of air filters has just about paid for the full cost of the snorkel... Of course, I have to buy knee-high stockings... but, the snorkel legitimizes that purchase for me. ;)

An unrelated question: I’m preparing to order a new 6-bladed fan... but I also see a 7-bladed fan, for a 1978.

Is there an advantage with one over the
other?

I always felt this guy did a great job: Custom snorkel project

One thing I learned, while deciding on exactly where to cut the hole in the apron... you have to be very careful you don’t end up with a conflict between the ramjet and the corner of the roof cap... this is especially important if you want to bounce between using a pre-cleaner and a ramjet.

YoYoHo,

That’s the one. I think they look good. How ever, It’s not to be. Am thinking or mandrel bent 3 inch pipe. Maybe stainless, maybe not. Couple brackets and a Donaldson thingy on top. I have to rotate my air box and reweld etc. When I get to it I’ll try to post pics. There maybe one more option I’m looking into. If it’s a go I’ll let you know.

Yeah ok well if you manage to fine one I am looking for a setup to go onto my 3B engine which needs a RHS version and I am not going to run a hose across the engine bay.

If I can't find one I guess the 3" mandrel tig welded version will have to be made I just prefer the look of the safari style for some reason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom