70 series research - the Short version and top removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Lo2aY 17” Hilux steelies I believe

I just read the original post.

You can find 73/74 in the GCC market. Mostly in Saudi and Yemen. Yemen distributor definatly ordered the most. They also have the most O.E. NOS parts for the 73/74 of any other country.

Saudi spec 74s gets you the "Gen 2" 1FZ-FE and full float drum rear axles. You get electric headlight adjustment. No diesel 74s.

Truck condition is usually a 3-4 out of 10. They are driven and beaten up and abused. I'd say the majority is like this. If not mechanically abused, the cars would have a bad body job or bad repair. It really depends on your standard and what you call good/acceptable.

Clean cruisers will demand a high price. From my years of looking. A clean 74 would fetch 45K$+ any day no matter the mileage. You find one that has under 100K kms, then you're probably paying north of 60K. Those are unicorns. And likely don't exist.

If I was to buy one and restore, I think GCC cars for the most part are repairable. They don't suffer from rust like in many other countries. You'll spend time mechanically and in repairing the body/ interior. And that's really fun, if you can spend the time and money on the repair. What's the point of owning a 1990s or early 2000s truck if you're not wrenching on it.

There is a 2002 that popped up a few weeks ago on the classafieds here in Saudi. I'll look up the link. But I don't know the owner or the car. You can try to communicate with him and see if you can figure out a way to export it to you. 02 LX FZJ74.

I daily a 105. The 105 is extremly comfortable compared to any 70 series. I'd suggest you test drive one before you commit to importing a 70.

Good luck searching. the platform is really worth the effort.

this one has 800k kms

The 02 I was talking about

Another 03

@Lo2aY I got confused. I get confused.

Tundra or 100, I think

If mine wasn't so rare in it's condition, i'd probably 1HD-FT swap it. Might deflare like Ben's beautiful 73

I'm collecting O.E softop parts for mine. waaaaay too many parts for something that's just a softop on a 70 series. Crazy what they have done to differentiate both models.

You can always Turbo that 1FZ :D

Yeah I looked at all the OEM parts and there is a ton of them for the soft top.

Btw mines a BJ74 :)

Odd Iron off road in Georgia has a 1990 HZJ73 for $18k.

That said it’s RHD and auto…but that’s a quick path to no top and beach cruising. And everything I’ve heard about odd iron would make me feel like they wouldn’t sell you junk and would be honest about it. Bonus, the 1HZ is still produced so parts for a very long time. The auto is well, auto-unexciting behind a 1HZ but you can always swap to 5speed, get a valve body etc…

I only found this looking for 70 series recovery points, no idea on shape.

1E8DE461-A8FE-4AAF-A7B7-B5856743FF9D.jpeg

1990 Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ73 RHD — ODD IRON OFF ROAD: 70 SERIES LAND CRUISERS - https://www.oddiron.com/forsale/p/1990-toyota-land-cruiser-hzj73-rhd

If you tell them you will be on the @Gun Runner 5 maintenance/upgrade plan, it’s possible they give you the cruiser free. :D

I just read the original post.

You can find 73/74 in the GCC market. Mostly in Saudi and Yemen. Yemen distributor definatly ordered the most. They also have the most O.E. NOS parts for the 73/74 of any other country.

Saudi spec 74s gets you the "Gen 2" 1FZ-FE and full float drum rear axles. You get electric headlight adjustment. No diesel 74s.

Truck condition is usually a 3-4 out of 10. They are driven and beaten up and abused. I'd say the majority is like this. If not mechanically abused, the cars would have a bad body job or bad repair. It really depends on your standard and what you call good/acceptable.

Clean cruisers will demand a high price. From my years of looking. A clean 74 would fetch 45K$+ any day no matter the mileage. You find one that has under 100K kms, then you're probably paying north of 60K. Those are unicorns. And likely don't exist.

If I was to buy one and restore, I think GCC cars for the most part are repairable. They don't suffer from rust like in many other countries. You'll spend time mechanically and in repairing the body/ interior. And that's really fun, if you can spend the time and money on the repair. What's the point of owning a 1990s or early 2000s truck if you're not wrenching on it.

There is a 2002 that popped up a few weeks ago on the classafieds here in Saudi. I'll look up the link. But I don't know the owner or the car. You can try to communicate with him and see if you can figure out a way to export it to you. 02 LX FZJ74.

I daily a 105. The 105 is extremly comfortable compared to any 70 series. I'd suggest you test drive one before you commit to importing a 70.

Good luck searching. the platform is really worth the effort.
Thank you. I have a built 2004 100 series. I am excited to have leaf springs, diesel, manual, leaf springs and convertible. Once again, I may get it up to 45 mph on occassion. Mostly for running around coastal NC.

That said it’s RHD and auto…but that’s a quick path to no top and beach cruising. And everything I’ve heard about odd iron would make me feel like they wouldn’t sell you junk and would be honest about it. Bonus, the 1HZ is still produced so parts for a very long time. The auto is well, auto-unexciting behind a 1HZ but you can always swap to 5speed, get a valve body etc…

View attachment 3257044

1990 Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ73 RHD — ODD IRON OFF ROAD: 70 SERIES LAND CRUISERS - https://www.oddiron.com/forsale/p/1990-toyota-land-cruiser-hzj73-rhd

If you tell them you will be on the @Gun Runner 5 maintenance/upgrade plan, it’s possible they give you the cruiser free. :D
It is cool however I am not buying anymore automatic cars if I can help it. I grew up with manuals and miss them dearly. I have even looked into converting my 2004 to 5 speed manual however that is cost prohibitive. This v8 with a manual would be fun.

View attachment 3257044

The price reflects some cosmetic issues.

It is cool however I am not buying anymore automatic cars if I can help it. I grew up with manuals and miss them dearly. I have even looked into converting my 2004 to 5 speed manual however that is cost prohibitive. This v8 with a manual would be fun.
Makes sense. The manuals are much more fun.

The cost of buying an auto HZJ and swapping in an H151, H55 or even an H152 MAY be net positive vs buying a manual HZJ if you do the work, sell the left over parts and source the new parts yourself. If you're paying a shop, just find a manual.

The cost of buying an auto HZJ and swapping in an H151, H55 or even an H152 MAY be net positive vs buying a manual HZJ if you do the work, sell the left over parts and source the new parts yourself. If you're paying a shop, just find a manual.
Great to know. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom