Registry Global 70-series Registry (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome! Nice find. I've had my BJ73 for about a year now, and with 3 small kids, I'm thinking a 77 might be in my future as well. Otherwise, I love the 7X series.

I was just watching this Andrew St Pierre White video, in which he reviews changes to the Aussie-spec 70 series TLC for the 2017 model year. At the very end of the video he mentions that 'an insider' says Toyota is considering bringing the 70 to the USA for the 2018 model year. Have any of you heard this news? Any 'inside info' that may be more reliable than what ASPW has?

Let me quote myself:

I've discussed this at length elsewhere, but Toyota USA would only be cannibalizing their other 4x4 sales if they brought in the 70 Series. I say this having worked at Toyota Motor Sales HQ in Torrance in the 90s for 4 years, 1 year in Strategic Planning, so I am not just guessing.

Toyota are also more profitable selling US-built trucks like the Tacoma, Sequoia, Tundra- which is another reason not to import the Araco/Toyota Auto Body-built 70. US drivers love trucks, but they also love all of the amenities you see in a modern US market truck that the 70 Series doesn't yet have (and I dont want the 70 to have, thats why it aint a Prado.)

If you really need a solid front axle truck in the US, you can get an F250 or other heavy duty full size. It may be small consolation to US owners but I believe Toyota sells 10 4x4 models in the US, more than in any other market. Just not the 70.

So I think ASPW is wrong about the 70 in the US. And rumors rarely get out of the car companies like he claims. That information is closely held until launch. Until I see a press release from Toyota USA in Texas, I won't believe it.

IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
1. 2002 HZJ78
2. ROUSER
3. Panama (currently in California)
4. Panama
5. 257,XXX Km
6. OME lift
Safari Snorkel
ARB front bumper
ARB 76 Series rear bumper
ARB side protection and steps
Hella Ralley 4000 driving lights
Hella 450 lights
Ciebie headlight lenses
Orsam Nightbreaker H3 bulbs
Rigid Industries diffused D series back up lights
LED under hood light
Blue Sea batt switch and ARC
Dual Interstate batteries MTP-27 & SMR-24
Dual digital voltmeter in dash
Autometer tachometer, pyrometer, and mechanical oil pressure gauge
Yale door locks
Backup camera and monitor
Magnetic drain/fill plugs in diff, tranny, and transfer case
Safebrake extended SS brake lines
Trail-Gear rock rings
Pro Comp 69 Series wheels (powder coated black)
Nitto Trail Grapplers 315/75R16
Magna Flow 14" muffler (2.5" diameter) with side dump (not in pic)
ARB Twin Air compressor (not yet installed)
7. Daily driver, surf chaser, part time home

Yale door locks

Love your build and such a clean Troopy for it's age and mileage. How long have you had it?

Did you do your own dual battery system design? Would love more detail on that. Which dual voltmeter?

Could you go into the Yale door locks? I've never heard of such a mod before.

Last edited:
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG
Love your build and such a clean Troopy for it's age and mileage. How long have you had it?

Did you do your own dual battery system design? Would love more detail on that. Which dual voltmeter?

Could you go into the Yale door locks? I've never heard of such a mod before.

Thanks, I've had this troopy since August 2015, I am the 3rd owner, bone stock when I bought it. Just drove it from Pamana to California this past November, 22mpg average without a hiccup. 1HZ non-turbo.

It's pretty common that Toyota door locks can be opened by other Toyota keys, so we always change the door locks to Yale ones. I have done it on all my past Yotas, with the exception on a 4Runner LTD that had electric locks. They run about $80USD in Panama for a set of 4 all keyed alike.

As for the dual batt, I made my own tray and mounted it on the passengers side next to the air box in the engine bay. Made my own cables with tinned 4ga wire, used a Bussman circuit breaker at each battery, run to the Blue Sea switch and ARC.

Disregard the Hankook battery, there is an Interstate one in there now.

The voltmeters are off Amazon, and fit perfectly on the faceplate below the a/c controls.
Amazon.com: DROK 0.56" 4 Digits DC 0-33V LED Digital Voltmeter 12V/24V 3 Wires Voltage Meter Gauge Panel Volt Tester Power Monitor: Industrial & Scientific

View attachment 1411316 View attachment 1411318 View attachment 1411320 View attachment 1411319

Thanks, I've had this troopy since August 2015, I am the 3rd owner, bone stock when I bought it. Just drove it from Pamana to California this past November, 22mpg average without a hiccup. 1HZ non-turbo.

It's pretty common that Toyota door locks can be opened by other Toyota keys, so we always change the door locks to Yale ones. I have done it on all my past Yotas, with the exception on a 4Runner LTD that had electric locks. They run about $80USD in Panama for a set of 4 all keyed alike.

As for the dual batt, I made my own tray and mounted it on the passengers side next to the air box in the engine bay. Made my own cables with tinned 4ga wire, used a Bussman circuit breaker at each battery, run to the Blue Sea switch and ARC.

Disregard the Hankook battery, there is an Interstate one in there now.

The voltmeters are off Amazon, and fit perfectly on the faceplate below the a/c controls.
Amazon.com: DROK 0.56" 4 Digits DC 0-33V LED Digital Voltmeter 12V/24V 3 Wires Voltage Meter Gauge Panel Volt Tester Power Monitor: Industrial & Scientific
Have you got more info on the Yale keys? I didn't know you could do that. What do you do about ignition key?

View attachment 1411295 View attachment 1411294 1. 2002 HZJ78
2. ROUSER
4. Panama
5. 257,XXX Km
6. OME lift
Safari Snorkel
ARB front bumper
Hella 450 lights
Ciebie headlight lenses
LED under hood light
Yale door locks
Trail-Gear rock rings

Great rig, need some more detail on those arb side steps, would you consider them sliders? Would they be able to hold the weight of the vehicle say if you put a highlift on there?

View attachment 1411295 View attachment 1411294 1. 2002 HZJ78
2. ROUSER
4. Panama
5. 257,XXX Km
6. OME lift
Safari Snorkel
ARB front bumper
Hella 450 lights
Ciebie headlight lenses
LED under hood light
Yale door locks
Trail-Gear rock rings
The StormTroopy! haha I started following you on instagram a little while ago after seeing your truck on there. Seems we both enjoy Harleys and dirtbikes too. :cheers:

1. Year and model of vehicle: 1989 LJ70 LX
2. Handle: dprio34
3. Location: Las Vegas, NV
4. Country of Origin: Imported from Spain (LHD) but VIN says originally France
5. Mileage: +300,000 km
6. Mods: Dobinson Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 31" KO2s, newer 2L-TII motor
7. Use: Weekend Driver, Camping

IMG_6435.JPG

IMG_5836.JPG

IMG_7158.JPG

IMG_6569.JPG

IMG_6570.JPG

Last edited:
Have you got more info on the Yale keys? I didn't know you could do that. What do you do about ignition key?

Ignition key stays the same, just the door locks and gas door lock are changed. Just a simple barrel swap.

Great rig, need some more detail on those arb side steps, would you consider them sliders? Would they be able to hold the weight of the vehicle say if you put a highlift on there?

I would not consider then "true" sliders, they are bolted to the frame and are stout. Definitely can save the rocker panels from being crushed by boulders but not designed to slide/glide over them. More of a "nerf" bar in my opinion, have already used them on a horse and a lawnmower with no damage to the troopy.

The StormTroopy! haha I started following you on instagram a little while ago after seeing your truck on there. Seems we both enjoy Harleys and dirtbikes too. :cheers:

Yup that's me, I recently changed the account name back to my old handle @rouserworks

1. Year and model of vehicle: 1991 HZJ77
2. IH8Mud Handle: pbnfj
3. Location of vehicle: San Jose, CA
4. Country of Origin: Japan
5. Mileage on the truck odometer, in KMs please: 110k KMs
6. Modifications: work in progress, on 35s but want to swap shackle extension for new lift springs
6. How you use the truck- weekend, camp and trail rig
7. Photos

hzj77_edit_00.jpg

I am new to this group and also new owner of 2.0 LJ73
I need to find a source where I can obtain parts for this truck. I live in the US
For example I am looking for am oil and gas filter. Can some one help me locate a source or an email with some part numbers?
Thanks

Welcome Oliwad,

Search around the site, you will find several vendors that will bend over backwards to help out. There is a sticky here somewhere that list all the air, oil, fuel etc filters that you can get from NAPA or other sources. There is also a sticky here on the 70's side that has pics with the Toyota P/N showing.

Welcome again and heads up... we will be asking for pics of your rig to be posted :)

1. Year and model of vehicle
1989 BJ74 Land Cruiser (2dr) Turbo Diesel

2. IH8Mud Handle
TXBJ74

3. Location of vehicle
New Braunfels, TX

4. Country of Origin (by this I mean the country it was first shipped to- ie, my 70 is in the USA, but was originally for the Canadian market, so the country of origina would be Canada)
JDM (Japan)

5. Mileage on the truck odometer, in KMs please
165,043 KM

6. Modifications, if any
ZERO - All original and show condition

6. How you use the truck- DD, trail rig, garage queen, etc.
Trot around town showing off.

7. Photos are fine, (you must post them) but please limit them to 1 small jpg[/QUOTE]
FullSizeRender.jpg

1. Year and model of vehicle
1989 BJ74 Land Cruiser (2dr) Turbo Diesel

2. IH8Mud Handle
TXBJ74

3. Location of vehicle
New Braunfels, TX

4. Country of Origin (by this I mean the country it was first shipped to- ie, my 70 is in the USA, but was originally for the Canadian market, so the country of origina would be Canada)
JDM (Japan)

5. Mileage on the truck odometer, in KMs please
165,043 KM

6. Modifications, if any
ZERO - All original and show condition

6. How you use the truck- DD, trail rig, garage queen, etc.
Trot around town showing off.

7. Photos are fine, (you must post them) but please limit them to 1 small jpg
View attachment 1419316[/QUOTE]
To be eligible for the free raffle prizes* you should register here also.... U.S. 70's Registration.

*The part about the free raffle prizes may be a slight exaggeration.

image1-2.JPG

1. 1990 HZJ75 Troopy
2. SkiBum506
3. Crested Butte, Colorado
4. Australia
5. 413,106km
6. Original owner installed a low boost turbo and platform with twin drawers.
7. This will be my adventure rig and part time work truck.

Thinking about buying one of these and wanted to know your opinion of it being a daily driver. how does it compare to a modern vehicle as far as maintenance and is it a lot of money to keep up? I would appreciate your help, I'm very close to deciding to get one.

Thinking about buying one of these and wanted to know your opinion of it being a daily driver. how does it compare to a modern vehicle as far as maintenance and is it a lot of money to keep up? I would appreciate your help, I'm very close to deciding to get one.
I have used two so far here in AK as daily drivers. If you make sure all the maintenance is current and gone over the rig to address current or upcoming issues and fix these then it should be just as reliable as any other rig. As to using it as a daily driver only you can make that call. Comfort and drivability for your condition you will have to decide. I drove my current rig 4200 mi home last year, driving it 600+mi every day. I drove my first one in temps from-50F to +75F. Of course I preped it for these conditions and parked it in a heated garage at night.

1996 Land Cruiser II
1KZ-T
Chile
Currently in Honduras
64,373KM - 40k miles
I believe I'm the 4th owner.
Minor mods not worth noting from previous owner, but 95% original. I just bought it and I'm going to mod as funds permit.
Daily use for family, mountain outreach and for our coffee farm.

IMG_7375.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom