70-series overlander (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw this in NE today. 4-door 70-series with overland box on the back. Anyone know the rig? I was going a different direction and couldn’t get a good pic

4666B690-F756-43EE-A158-1A8D9B63C9F2.jpeg

Didn't see that (obviously, since I'm in Texas) but who do I talk to about getting one imported and all the details? Thx.

Didn't see that (obviously, since I'm in Texas) but who do I talk to about getting one imported and all the details? Thx.

You might want to talk to Joe at Joe's Classic Cruisers. He brings in 70s and parts from Europe, so has experience and information that could help you get started on a path.
You both are in Tx ... but with Joe being north of Dallas, it would be a drive. With Roundup rescheduled for November and Joe will probably be attending with one or more of his 70s, that could be a good opportunity to tagup while looking at 70s.
Good luck

The 70 Series Ute (pickup if you will) is a rare commodity in the U.S.

An 80's era single cab, leaf springs and NA diesel 1HZ as an Overlanding rig? Wowza, that's a style of self abuse I don't think this body or mind can handle anymore :-(.

Sure, you can swap in a 12HT for more power on top of spending $$$ for importation, but why not just use a '85 Toyota mini truck to get the same affect - kidney busting, noisy and a slow ass ride? Yeah, you'll get there, eventually, but with a slight loss of hearing and tingling sensations in the nether region :hillbilly:

Now, if we can afford to import front coil sprung, with an ECU, 1HD-T, double cab UTE, oh yeah, I might just auction off my daughter on eBay for that!

Last edited:
This was
That looks a little like a Maltec land cruiser.

Vince
Agree, it does. It may have started as a double-cab chassis ute. I don't think the box was pass-thru like these Maltecs, but looks like one of their builds. Didn't see a license plate. It was followed by a late model Ram pickup with an RTT over the bed.

I met a German fellar couple of years ago driving that same exact model around the world. It had the 1HZ engine and he says it really sucked going over the Andes and any other high elevation peaks :) That model is a sweet Overlanding rig for sure.

I believe this is Sackwear's new Maltec land cruiser. He put up some photos on his Instagram page.

Vince

I believe this is Sackwear's new Maltec land cruiser. He put up some photos on his Instagram page.

Vince
I thought the Sackwear had a surfer/woody theme. Did they do another?

I thought the Sackwear had a surfer/woody theme. Did they do another?
I thought so too. I have seen pictures and video of the surf/woody camper in the Heritage museum but not sure if it is there permanently or on loan.

Vince

He brought this by the shop a couple of days ago. I'm not the envious type... but damn. Super clean. Sorry didn't get pics of the inside.
IMG_20200618_113032677_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200618_113155305_HDR.jpg

for $100k+ you better be able to eat off that engine! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom