70 series leaning to towards one side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought my hzj77 two years ago, and it came with all the armor. OME 4” lift, 35s, arb front bumper and roof rack, and rear bumper with tire carrier. When I received the truck I noticed it was leaning significantly towards the right side, and what I thought immediately was that the springs were probably not the correct ones for the all the additional weight. Called cruiser outfitters, and ordered a pair of front heavy duty leaf springs. When I removed the old ones I noticed the right side leaf’s were more flat then the left side and as I thought there were less leafs on them and thought I would be able to fix the problem with the new ones. Once I got them installed, the leaning improved but it was still leaning, not as much as before but I can still see it. It’s been about 6 months since I put the new leaf springs and I don’t think it’s as bad as it was originally but it’s driving me crazy. I’ve taken it to a couple of shops and no one is really interested for some reason. I don’t know if I should get all front and back springs, or how to address it.

The RHD models lean right because more of the weight is on the RH side (the driver, the transfer case, a lot of the accessories, etc).

But they also lean due to the interleaf friction, which acts somewhat like a shock absorber (the leaves bind against eachother cushioning over bumps). This also causes the heavier side to rise up slightly less when parking. The leaf friction is "sticking" them in place. If I jounce my truck after parking, it often settles out to be level.

I've debating shimming mine up a half inch to make it look right. But it doesn't bother me enough.

You could also try swapping springs like @coldtaco said. OME makes +/-/0 springs which all sit slightly different.

Despite having “newish“ heavy duty Terrain Tamer suspension (installed a couple of years ago) I have a noticeable lean to the drivers side (LHD). I just tell folks it’s designed that way on purpose to help expedite a left hand turn. 😊

Hi
I understand you got OME springs.
The front springs are similar left / right.
The rear springs are marked A and B.
A goes to the driver side, regardless whether it's a LHD or RHD vehicle.
All springs are tested after fabrication. + indicates 'near upper limit of spec' (harder), - 'near upper limit of spec' (softer), 0 is exact spec.
Severe lean usually indicates the rear springs have been switched (ask me how I know 😉).
A little lean is absolutely normal (as others already stated)
If you have a nice dealer, he might get you a respective + - 0 spring to need, in order to compensate the lean.
But in essence: OMEs lean, somewhat, always. Call it 'character' 😁
Cheers Ralf

its to counter road crown .......😆

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom