70 series front axle into 1972 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ceylonfj40nut

Waiting for Barn Time
SILVER Star
Threads
Did a fair amount of searching on Mud but did not find info on placing a 70 series front axle into a fj40. Just acquired a 70 series front axle hub to hub. Want to put whole axle in since it is beefier and has disc brakes. Has anyone done this? What mods did you do to spring perch locations on the 70 series axle?

Did a fair amount of searching on Mud but did not find info on placing a 70 series front axle into a fj40. Just acquired a 70 series front axle hub to hub. Want to put whole axle in since it is beefier and has disc brakes. Has anyone done this? What mods did you do to spring perch locations on the 70 series axle?

I’m not familiar with the 70 stuff but how does it compare to the 60 width? It might be easier and take less time to outboard the 40 frame hangers.

My understanding is that the 40 and 70 series axles are pretty similar WMS to WMS. Want to see what spring perch mods are needed.

Thanks @whitey45!! This saves me some work!

None in the front, it’s a bolt in. The rear perches need to be moved in an inch on each side.
Is the front perch spacing different between a '72 and '74? I know that 70 series axles under a '74 required relocating both the front and rear perches.
img_8219-jpg.1944283

@The Eradicator do you have pics of the PS (short side) perch relocation? Do you recall offsets from OEM you did? What perches did you buy?

I am not sure if there is a difference between a 72 and a 74.

This is the best shot I have of the passenger side perch. They are Barnes SUA perches. I can't recall the offset, but it just took a little grinding to get the perch to sit flat on the diff hump.
IMG_20190415_124951.jpg

@The Eradicator, your axle housings in your pics are circular. My 70 series axles are box cross section.

@whitey45 any pics of yours?

Agree need to take a tape measure to confirm.

Can anyone chime in on the front axles? Seeing varying answers. Maybe different between 70 series years? Looking at an 85 BJ70

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom