70 series Diesel Mileage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got my 87' Bj70 dialed in with the AXT turbo. The water temps, boost, and pyro are doing great, and it has plenty of power (I would have to say it is my quickest 70 series I own).

Temps = 180 - 195 degrees F

Boost = Max boost set to 11psi

EGT's = normal is 400-800F and under heavy load or big hill goes up to 1100F max (usually around 1000 - 1050F)

I am still running stock gears (3.70's) with 33"x15"x10" tires on this 70 series.

I am really pleased with the performance after dialing the turbo in and if that was not enough I have been getting 23MPG with this truck. For me that it pretty good, I was shocked and waited until I went through the second tank and calculated it again and it was again 23mpg (ok a little higher second time than first but I rounded ot even 23mpg)

I know that there have been some posts in the past on what people were getting with the 70 for mileage, but I am not sure if that was running a turbo as well. How about it, what are you getting with your turbo'd 70 series??

Thanks,

Michael

let's see, 3.7 gears, 33" fats and your heavy foot and you are getting 23 mpg US? that is very good...
cheers

Michael,
Is your MPG based mainly on highway driving? It's surprising to hear that your 70 is quick, even with the turbo, considering your gearing and tire size. My 70 is kinda slow out of the blocks with stock tires-not that I'm complaining. It's quick enough. Acceleration and top speed is noticably superior to a stock FJ-40.

89GASHOG said:
Michael,
Is your MPG based mainly on highway driving? It's surprising to hear that your 70 is quick, even with the turbo, considering your gearing and tire size. My 70 is kinda slow out of the blocks with stock tires-not that I'm complaining. It's quick enough. Acceleration and top speed is noticably superior to a stock FJ-40.

Yes it does seem strange but this truck has always had a strong engine even before I turbo'd it. Not sure why must just be timed just right.

Cheers,

Michael

I get 1000km's to my 90 litre tank, which with my calculations doesn't maek sense, seems like I got alot better economy after using an oz of Lucas fuel condtioner in every fill up.

I bog the old girl around alot

Hi Eric,

Wow. Good for you. The best I can get from my BJ74 is about 800 kms from my 90 litre tank. That's about 25 MPG imperial.

B

Alas, I have just 15" 235-70'sLT M&S. But they "look" masculine. :)

B

I'm guessing some of you folks run your tank just a tad "drier" than I am willing to do. I NEVER let my gauge go below 1/4 in any diesel vehicle I've ever owned.

I have yet to run out, I just trust my gauge which I prolly shouldn't do!!

Hey Dog,

Actually, my 800 km figure is an extrapolated one, calculated with less than 1/2 tank left. Like you, I don't go below 1/4 tank.

I was in San Antonio (my head office) via Houston last week. Texans are GREAT people, very warm and hospitable.

Bruce in Vancouver

dieseldog said:
I'm guessing some of you folks run your tank just a tad "drier" than I am willing to do. I NEVER let my gauge go below 1/4 in any diesel vehicle I've ever owned.

Likewise.

I think it's truly dumb to run out of fuel on the road.

Kalawang

Michael,

The last time I checked I was getting about 20-21 with my set-up...I figure I could chew that down a bit if I lost the roof rack. I guess not bad for a 4.56 geared truck w/ 35's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom