VDJ79 series Coil Spring Height and Diameter (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tank5

SILVER Star
Threads
I am currently building a 45 with 80 series suspension. Fitting the front coils on this build is tight. I recently read that 70 series (76/78/79) front coils are narrower than 80 series coils. I am hoping that I can use 70 coils to help create some space on the front of my build. I have searched and can not find any specific measurements for front 70 coils. I am asking here for anyone willing to please post up your 70 series spring diameter measurements. Please include your series, stock or after market spring manufacturer. The outside largest measurements are what I am looking for.

The stock front coils I have from a 91 80 series measure 5.75 inches across the top outside to outside.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: 1/30/21, I have decided on using the front coils from a VDJ79. I am ready to order a set but need to compare the height measurements to the fronts on an 80 front. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I was just chatting to a fellow member about this exact thing, here is a spacer he designed which should give the idea?

If I am reading his draft correctly the spring spacer is 5.080 (inches I assume) at the outside diameter. That is helpful but the spacer could be wider or narrower (less likely) than the spring at this point. I would still be interested in an actual measurement if anyone has a set sitting around

Set your suspension up with 80 stuff imho. The shocks and coils are longer then 70 stuff. If you don't care about flex then by all means use 79 suspension. My hdj79 is running TT smart coils at the minute, measures approx 130mm (5.12 inches) across at the top. So you are looking at about 16mm different which is not much at all. Think there is 2" difference between the 79 stuff and the 80 in height. Other than that, the 79 uses the same radius arms ect

Thanks for the measurements. I am going to use 80 components for the rest of the suspension. The springs look as if they will give me a little over 1/2 inch of space which would be helpful. I will have to look up the height difference compared to 80 coils. I guess I can order a taller spring for a lifted application to try and make for the height difference.

Thanks for the measurements. I am going to use 80 components for the rest of the suspension. The springs look as if they will give me a little over 1/2 inch of space which would be helpful. I will have to look up the height difference compared to 80 coils. I guess I can order a taller spring for a lifted application to try and make for the height difference.
Good stuff. I believe 79 series coils are 2" shorter than 80 series coils. Or thereabouts. I ran stock height 80 shocks on my 79 for awhile, they where about the same length as 2" 79 series shocks.

C9821F6F-57BB-4826-9917-B993A1C561B9.jpeg

Cheers

Full coil spring conversion in this thread.

Video of completed suspension off-road.

Cheers

Thanks for the measurements.

Another member has an old set of springs they made me an awesome deal on, so I can use them to mock up with. They measured at 5 inches across the fronts as well.

Compared to the stock 80 springs I have the 70 series coils are .75 inches narrower. This gets me 3/8 extra clearance where I need it. The 70 coils are shorter than the 80 coils but I believe that can be changed.

I’m ready to order a set of 79 series front coils for my project. The 70 series coils I have are for a 74 series and are really short and light. I am planning to use VDJ79 series springs on the front of my build. Is there anyone who has a set of VDJ79 front springs that can measure the height of the spring off the truck?

I want to make sure I order the correct hight and need to confirm how they differ from the stock 80 springs I am using now.

Except the HZJ74, 1999-2004. It had coil front suspension.

I don’t know the various 70 series models that well, so please feel free to correct anything I get wrong, so I don’t lead anyone astray.

I was wrong, the springs I have are from an LJ70. That is what I was told. Not that this matters much.

I am planning to use front springs from a VDJ79 for my build. I just need to figure out how they compare in height to 80 front springs.

Last edited:
I wanted to post an update to what I found so far hoping it might help someone else in the future.

This is not the comparison I was initially looking for but I reached out to Dobinson and asked if they could share the spring height for their 3” lift front coil springs for 78/79 series land cruiser with up to 300 lbs additional weight in the front. They responded quickly with the spring height measurement of 510mm which comes out to 20.07 inches.

I measured the taller of my two sets of front 80 springs and they measured 20.75 inches. I ordered a set of 4” springs to test with and figure things out from there.

fjz74's ran through 2006 model year.

Cruiserparts has stock 76 series front springs for $55 ea as take offs. DO NOT GET THE HD 79 SPRINGS if you like your kidneys.

fjz74's ran through 2006 model year.

Cruiserparts has stock 76 series front springs for $55 ea as take offs. DO NOT GET THE HD 79 SPRINGS if you like your kidneys.

Stock springs won’t be tall enough for what I am doing. I just wanted a stock height spring measurement to compare to an 80 spring measurement, so I could account for the height difference when ordering a 79 series spring. I have already ordered a set of springs to test with. Your comment came too late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom